How do I install a transmission temp guage?

Mora

TJ Enthusiast
2005 Jeep SE
Just ordered an aux transmission cooler and now I am wanting to add a temp gauge so I am able to see what kind of numbers I am getting. The only issue is, I have no clue on how to do that. I know the general idea of it but I am always an overthinker and want to make sure I know what I am doing.

Anyone with the experience of installing one mind giving me some info on what to do? Thank you! :)

There are electric and mechanical temperature gauges.
You can either have a bung welded into the pan or attach a sensor to the line going from the transmission to the cooler indicating ATF temperature.

Reactions: Mora
There are electric and mechanical temperature gauges.
You can either have a bung welded into the pan or attach a sensor to the line going from the transmission to the cooler indicating ATF temperature.
I know most people weld it into the pan. I am a bit confused though when you talk about attaching a senor to the line. Would this be easier than welding it into the pan?

Yeah, I noticed that you were the only person that included a how-to. Do I have to get a new pan in order to install a gauge or is that what you just did.

The new pan made the install very easy. I just needed the M14 1.5 to 1/8 adapter, per my post.

Reactions: Mora