How do I know if I have 27 or 30 spline axle shafts?

nceagle03tj

Hey y'all so I have a 2003 TJ Sahara with a dana 30 in the front and a dana 44 in the back. I was looking at getting lockers for my jeep and I got confused when it asked the spline count. So I have some questions.
What are Splines?
How many do I have, where do I figure that out?
What lockers do I need.

Thanks guys
Woody

Your rear Dana 44 has 30 splines, your front Dana 30 has 27 splines.

Spines are the little "teeth" on the end of the axle shafts.

For the front you need a locker meant for a Dana 30 with 27 splines. For the rear you need a locker meant for a Dana 44 with 30 splines.

This is very, very common, so you aren't looking for anything out of the ordinary here by any means.

Reactions: nceagle03tj
Hey y'all so I have a 2003 TJ Sahara with a dana 30 in the front and a dana 44 in the back. I was looking at getting lockers for my jeep and I got confused when it asked the spline count. So I have some questions.
What are Splines?
How many do I have, where do I figure that out?
What lockers do I need.
Snow/ice affects what makes a good choice of locker. I know it doesn't snow but 3-4" there in Davidson, is your Jeep a daily driver or does it have to get driven in all conditions including icy roads? Is your budget tight for lockers or are you willing to pay what it takes to get what would be ideal?

Reactions: nceagle03tj
It is a daily but as well it will be on icy roads at times. I'm willing to pay for what it takes to get the best set up for me, was looking at eaton lockers and arb (knowing that I'd need an on board air system). Just trying to figure out which would be best.

I'ma go ahead and use this
images.jpeg

can you change the spine count by going with a different locker/carrier?

Your rear Dana 44 has 30 splines, your front Dana 30 has 27 splines.

Spines are the little "teeth" on the end of the axle shafts.

For the front you need a locker meant for a Dana 30 with 27 splines. For the rear you need a locker meant for a Dana 44 with 30 splines.

This is very, very common, so you aren't looking for anything out of the ordinary here by any means.

Thank you, man. I had the same question.

Reactions: Chris