How do I properly lengthen my alternator cable?

LJGreg

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
As part of my York install, my alternator had to be relocated. My alternator cable is now about 6" to short - even after trying to get slack from the harness. What would be the proper way to lengthen? Should I just cut the terminal off, butt connect a new length and adhesive heatshrink it? Or is there a better way?

Hang in there , someone will answer it with good experience .

As part of my York install, my alternator had to be relocated. My alternator cable is now about 6" to short - even after trying to get slack from the harness. What would be the proper way to lengthen? Should I just cut the terminal off, butt connect a new length and adhesive heatshrink it? Or is there a better way?
Personally I would use the opportunity to upgrade the cable size and connections. If you don’t want to do that, I would use high quality large pressure crimp connectors (@mrblaine has some recommend on here) with a good amount of heat shrink covering the entire connection and then some.

Unless you have the high pressure crimping tools already or plan to make more cables you're probably best off buying the cable.

I have used https://www.custombatterycables.com/ for my build and they did a good job. Make sure you tell them that you want the cable sized for the stock alternator (not durango alt, unless that's what you have) and that it is a alternator cable so it needs a fusable link.

Reactions: rasband and Chris