How do i remove this steering wheel??

NYC-TJU

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
04 LJ, but aftermarket steering wheel (i think?). Anyways my clock spring is done and I went to replace, but for the life of me I couldn't get this damn wheel off. The steering wheel puller I have supposedly works for stock steering wheels, but can't figure out how to get this one off. Anyone have any ideas, or can point me to the right tool?

20220409_152004.jpg

20220409_151950.jpg

20220409_150919.jpg

This looks like exactly what I need! Then to get it back on am I just giving it a good whack and tightening it up?
No, it will only go on one way since there is a notch in the splines that the wheel needs to align on. Put it on gently and then by tightening the bolt it will seat the wheel. Before removing your clockspring make sure you tires are straight.

No, it will only go on one way since there is a notch in the splines that the wheel needs to align on. Put it on gently and then by tightening the bolt it will seat the wheel. Before removing your clockspring make sure you tires are straight.
Roger that. Thanks for the help - much appreciated.

Do not beat down or upward- there are bearings in the column you do not want to damage.

Loosen the bolt and while sitting in the seat pull on one side and push on the other. Then push at the top while pulling on the bottom. Keep alternating side to side & top and bottom and most of the time they will come loose. Just leave the bolt threaded in a little to keep the wheel from hitting you when it comes loose

Loosen the bolt and while sitting in the seat pull on one side and push on the other. Then push at the top while pulling on the bottom. Keep alternating side to side & top and bottom and most of the time they will come loose. Just leave the bolt threaded in a little to keep the wheel from hitting you when it comes loose
That has worked on some. We've never been able to make it work on the later TJ steering wheels. I've removed many of the early ones by pushing up with my knees on both sides and then giving the shaft a decent tap with a brass drift and hammer, pops them right off. Doesn't work on the later ones.