How do I repair this rust?

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
My 97 3speed auto got caught up in a fixed/not fixed cycle with Eagle Transmission.
I'll spare the rant only to say they had my jeep off and on for 2 months this summer and it's got rained on until I was able to cover it but this developed as a result..
20180916_094833.jpg

Do I hand sand the rust off, then apply primer?
I have no experience in rust removal

The easiest way would be to remove it entirely, media blast it (or find someone locally who will), then paint it with something like POR15 or similar, then put it back on. That's what I would do at least.

You could also wire wheel it, but to get the rust underneath, you need to take it off. And if you're going through the trouble to take it off, may as well just have it media blasted IMHO.

Reactions: KCsTJ
You can spray it with Rustoleum Rust Reformer and then give a coating of clear. That rust reformer really works but it needs paint to seal it. It won’t do any good,though, if you don’t cover all sides and get it in the nooks and crannies.

My 97 3speed auto got caught up in a fixed/not fixed cycle with Eagle Transmission.
I'll spare the rant only to say they had my jeep off and on for 2 months this summer and it's got rained on until I was able to cover it but this developed as a result..
View attachment 55556
Do I hand sand the rust off, then apply primer?
I have no experience in rust removal
You could hit it with a rust converter then paint as/if you like.

I personally would remove it, soak it in a bath of either EvapoRust or a home solution w vinegar and salt (forget the ratio, but can be found online) and then prime + paint it. After its mounted, I’d probably lighty hit it w CRC corrosion inhibitor or a light coat of Fluid Film, applied w a rag. Do you have a center console that covers it, or is this completely exposed? Im guessing the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience with Rustoleum products has been good. Years ago I built a utility trailer from an old truck frame and steel tubing. I brushed on a Rustoleum product called "Rusted Metal Primer". It sealed/neutralized the rust and filled in some of the small surface imperfections. I topped it with another Rustoleum product. I sold the trailer to a friend, but, years later, the paint still looked good.

The primer I used only required wire brushing any loose scale for prep, no sanding.

If that gets hidden I don't think I'd worry about it at all, just lube it up with some oil to keep it working.

If it stays visible it probably should have been painted from day one. Even though it probably came from the factory unpainted, it couldn't have looked too good that way even before the rust.

Now I want to go pull my console off and look at mine. Even though I had the console off before I can't remember of mine's rusty or not.

If that gets hidden I don't think I'd worry about it at all, just lube it up with some oil to keep it working.

If it stays visible it probably should have been painted from day one. Even though it probably came from the factory unpainted, it couldn't have looked too good that way even before the rust.

Now I want to go pull my console off and look at mine. Even though I had the console off before I can't remember of mine's rusty or not.
It probably sat for a week after I was told a 2 day repair, etc yada yada ... well it stays and gets rained on.
This should be an easy project. Well see how it goes :)

No offense or disrespect intended, but I'm pretty sure the rustbelt boys are rolling their eyes at this. I mean, I get it. Rust has to start somewhere. But I think you could spray this down with some oil and it'd be fine. From where I'm from (upstate New York), that wouldn't even qualify as rust. More like "discoloration"... ;)

No offense or disrespect intended, but I'm pretty sure the rustbelt boys are rolling their eyes at this. I mean, I get it. Rust has to start somewhere. But I think you could spray this down with some oil and it'd be fine. From where I'm from (upstate New York), that wouldn't even qualify as rust. More like "discoloration"... ;)
I believe the term you're looking for is "patina". :beer-toast1:

Glad I live in north-west TX where I thought rusts are only from the visiting TJs from upstate NY.
POR-15 is perfect for that.

Last edited:

Yeah...I saw this and thought
65724719.jpg

No Offense KC. If you really want to fix it...or at least the way I'd do it, do this. Remove it from the vehicle, sandblast it (I have a cabinet) prime, the paint. That particular bracket is raw steel from the factory though, so its not deemed mission critical. Rust isn't like chicken pox...it isn't going to spread from that bracket to your tub. Now...if you happen to scratch the paint through to raw metal in the process of removing said bracket and it gets wet again...You tub will start to rust. The scratch gives the steel exposure to oxygen (oxidation).

Reactions: Squatch and KCsTJ

I gotta be straight up and mention, being from the salted, miserably cold state of NJ, I too thought the same thing you posted in your first line. And agree 100%, some type of oil, lanolin or petro besed, would be fine. I’m just a bit ocd and would probably clean and paint coat it too, before the oil -lol

Reactions: Squatch and KCsTJ
I gotta be straight up and mention, being from the salted, miserably cold state of NJ, I too thought the same thing you posted in your first line. And agree 100%, some type of oil, lanolin or petro besed, would be fine. I’m just a bit ocd and would probably clean and paint coat it too, before the oil -lol

Im a bit OCD also.
That's a pretty color on your Jeep is it maroon? What is the official Jeep color?