How do I replace the rubber accelerator pedal?

Jmc1980

One would think this is a simple task with hundreds of videos... but nope.

Rubber on my accelerator is worn. I have replacement.
How do I actaully install it??

Took a picture of the current assembly.

I just wanted to replaced the rubber pedal itself.

20190812_175852.jpg

What does the other end look like? Does it have a head on it? If not, I’d think you could drive it out with a punch, replace the pedal, drive the pin back in.

I should know what those straight lined grooves that have both ends visible on that pin are called, straight knurls maybe? Anyway, whatever they are called, they make that section of the pin slightly larger and cause it to fit really tight in the hole through the metal(?) lever that is holding the pedal. Getting it out can't be too hard but it definitely requires enough strength of some sort to hold that lever still while using a punch to knock the pin out. It may actually need to be completely removed from the Jeep and held with a vise or at least on something hard like an anvil.

I tried using a clamp to press the pin out but no luck. I'm not sure it's supposed to be removed, prompting a full pedal replacement instead of a just the pad.

I'm of the mind to remove the pedal assembly, set it on the bench, get the appropriate size of socket for the head and drive the other end out with a drift punch.

I'm of the mind to remove the pedal assembly, set it on the bench, get the appropriate size of socket for the head and drive the other end out with a drift punch.

I tried exactly this but the pin just refused to budge in the pedal arm. I didn't really have to swap the pedal pad; I ended up getting the pad with the brake and clutch pad so I figured I just swap all of them but the gas pedal is a no-go. I'll leave it.