How do supercharged 4.6 strokers perform?

J Stone

Just thought I would reach out and see how other Supercharged 4.6 strokers perform. Mine runs extremely well but not what I expected! I have a 99 Wrangler on 31s and 7:73 gears with a 4.6 and an M 90 supercharger. It will run o to 60 in 8 sec. Dyno shows 206 rear wheel HP.

Reactions: Tldelaney
Just thought I would reach out and see how other Supercharged 4.6 strokers perform. Mine runs extremely well but not what I expected! I have a 99 Wrangler on 31s and 7:73 gears with a 4.6 and an M 90 supercharger. It will run o to 60 in 8 sec. Dyno shows 206 rear wheel HP.
What kind of RPMs are you turning at 70mph with 7.73 gears?

I had my stocker supercharged for a stint. I was getting 0-60 in 10 seconds with my 37s. But then I got distracted and now it goes 0-60 in infinite seconds...

IMG_20201222_171154.jpg

You might want to double check your gear ratio. That doesn't sound quite right.

Only 206? Seems lower than I would have expected, boosted stocker I would have thought to clear 300RWH.
Stock engine has 190hp at the crank, and dynos around 135hp at the rear wheels. Offroad vehicles tend to loose a lot in the driveline.

Wait... 206 WHP with a 4.6 stroker AND a M90 supercharger? If that's true, something is seriously wrong.

That number would be accurate from a supercharger alone, but not a supercharger and a stroker. Are you sure you have a stroker?

With a stroker and a supercharger pushing around 6-7 psi of boost, you should be putting down at least 300 WHP assuming it's tuned correctly.

What are you running for a tune?

Stock engine has 190hp at the crank, and dynos around 135hp at the rear wheels. Offroad vehicles tend to loose a lot in the driveline.
Damn, no wonder these things are lethargic, I was gonna guess at least 160whp stock, more like 170.

The M90 is a relatively small supercharger (perfect for a stock engine) so perhaps the stroker isn't letting boost stack up effectively reducing PSI at the same power numbers. A smaller pulley will help to a point.

Well, I thought the numbers were low! I had the engine built so I know its a 4.6. I was running 5lb boost on stock engine with smallest pully available and with stroker only 4lb. Haven't found anyone in the area that can do a tune on it yet.

Well, I thought the numbers were low! I had the engine built so I know its a 4.6. I was running 5lb boost on stock engine with smallest pully available and with stroker only 4lb. Haven't found anyone in the area that can do a tune on it yet.
Have you considered HP tuners soft wear and a remote tuner? I believe Chris has some experience with this, it’s kind of the way tuning is going.

some reading: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/97-06-jeep-wrangler-tj-ecu-pcm-tuning-options.13974/

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/vertex-performance-chips.44303/#post-748435

HP tuners MPVI2

Last edited:
The Banks turbo does 238 hp at the wheels with a stock engine and 6 psi.
Yeah, that’s my planned setup, but damn. I Paid less than 5K for the whole Jeep, I wonder if someone has done a “DIY” turbo with good results, doubt it with all the R&D that goes into Banks kit’s

Are you running a stroked supercharged engine on a stock tune?

What elevation are you at? 5lbs is low with a maximum boost pulley unless maybe you are at 8kft or something. I was building 8lbs at 600ft and still had 3 pulley sizes to go.

Talk to your engine builder, but you should be safe to 12lbs as long as you have an MLS head gasket.

I tried a dyno tune shop in Colorado Springs, where they did the base line, but they didn't have the program to tune the Split Second an on. I think I have down loaded the program since but haven't taken it back yet. I'm at about 6000 ft. elevation!

I tried a dyno tune shop in Colorado Springs, where they did the base line, but they didn't have the program to tune the Split Second an on. I think I have down loaded the program since but haven't taken it back yet. I'm at about 6000 ft. elevation!
Dyno tuning is great for WOT power, but you really want some street tuning for drive ability, at 6000ft, your deff gonna need a custom tune.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck