How do you keep your rig rust free?

that is not nasty rust, just some surface rust.

If you take a piece of 1/4" plate and grind it shiny, leave it out side for a day it will have a layer of rust on it, does it mean the metal is no good(?), of course not, rust is not an issue until it eats through the metal or begins to thin the metal (to an extent, I'm referring to structural integrity).

I live in the heart of the rust belt, salt on the roads and salt in the air, and high humidity so perhaps I am more used to dealing with rust. Plus I have worked with steel from an early age and understand the strength and resiliency of it.

Around here we "undercoat" vehicles, a black, sticky, goo-ee oil based product that is sprayed on everything, some cases the taillights are removed and it is sprayed (as best it can) inside the body work. It eventually seeps out and will cause dust to stick to it, looks like hell but can be cleaned up and is a GOOD sign.
Yes, some areas are more surface but the control arms look pretty bad. It's even in the shocks.

On the other hand, let's say you have these kinds of surface rust, how should you deal with it BEFORE it gets significant? Sand it off and repaint and fluid film?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I really wish there was one way to do something once and prevent it from ever happening.

Like... wire brushing it down then powdercoating and then spray it with something like Line-X and be done with it once and for all.

Reactions: Starrs
Yes, some areas are more surface but the control arms look pretty bad. It's even in the shocks.

On the other hand, let's say you have these kinds of surface rust, how should you deal with it BEFORE it gets significant? Sand it off and repaint and fluid film?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

the shocks are not really of significance, they would no doubt wear out and need to be replaced before they rusted through, easy and inexpensive. To keep rust at bay is nothing more than keeping air and moisture away, you can sand/grind/or wire wheel away the surface rust and repaint, powder coat etc, or fluid film but I would not use that on a part that it made more sense to paint such as control arms.
Rust on bolt heads is of no significance either, the exhaust is the thinnest metal under that JK and it still looks stock so there would be nothing more than aesthetics to worry about, and good luck with that if you live in Canada.

A heated garage floor is the best answer. It dries everything out and it really makes huge difference.

I know that's not practical for almost all of us.

The next best and essential step is get a car wash every week with an under flush.

I'm in Michigan and know a bit about the rust.

You can't stop it. But the above two steps will really make a difference.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

A heated garage floor is the best answer. It dries everything out
Heat on a daily driver is a catalyst and will rust an Ontario car faster than acid rain....
KEEP IT COLD !!!! FROZEN !!!

Salt creates rust because it melts ice. I lived in the NWT for 10 years. 40 below was normal for the winter. They rarely use salt because salt needs heat to work.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
Heat on a daily driver is a catalyst and will rust an Ontario car faster than acid rain....
KEEP IT COLD !!!! FROZEN !!!

Salt creates rust because it melts ice. I lived in the NWT for 10 years. 40 below was normal for the winter. They rarely use salt because salt needs heat to work.

funny you should mention that as I have heard the same thing about heated garages.

what we usually do is as said above a few times over: lots of undercarriage blasts, wire brush off what you can - but then we apply a rust converter to the area from 3M that you can then paint over. It converts the rust to magnetite, which is harmless.

A heated garage floor is the best answer. It dries everything out and it really makes huge difference.

I know that's not practical for almost all of us.

The next best and essential step is get a car wash every week with an under flush.

I'm in Michigan and know a bit about the rust.

You can't stop it. But the above two steps will really make a difference.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Oh boy. I feel sorry for you know just a bit.

Reactions: billiebob
Came across this article today. Really goes to show that the absolute best thing to do to keep rust away is thoroughly washing your Jeep at least once every week if you're driving in salt. Salt can't cause any damage if you only let it sit there for a few hours at a time. You can put all the coatings you want on the underside, but nothing will beat just washing it religiously.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features..._fb_social_FWN_181021_sf200487812#sf200487812

Reactions: Equilibrium31
TJ2 nailed it !! Rust happens when salt is activated. Heat and water do that. Best bet, park on the street, wash it in the spring. Voice of experience here. Grew up in Alberta. 45 years of winter driving. The worst thing you can do is park in a heated garage.

Fluid Film is what I am going to be using. It is a proven method if you want to keep rust away. I am coating it twice this year and then once a year after that. You need something that sinks into porous metal. People would spray the underside of their cars with used motor oil around here and those cars were rust free, but that is one heck of a mess and hard to find anyone that does it these days. It was called a "Hillbilly Undercoat". We did that on an '80 Ford F150 that saw a ton of salt. No rust at all on that rig. It can be done, but oil or something like fluid film is the only way IMHO. Something that sinks in.

Reactions: Markymech
I power wash the underside every year, usually twice, and spray everything with rust-inhibiting spray paint. Started this after having to repair the frame. Hopefully it helps.

Reactions: billiebob
Go to Ebay do a carfax It will show # owners and where it was Titled. Buy only Southern states U.S. away from salt water. My JEEP 18 Y.O. very little rust I keep it NC and get Under Carriage washed @ local car wash when I beach Ride.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
What is typically done in OH? Here in Indiana it’s mainly just salt and beet juice. Where I live we could get away with using nothing but god for bid anybody has to drive on any snow. They take it way overboard. Hardly any snow remains on the roads and the trucks are out dumping the crap on the roads. Oh well rubi won’t be subjected to that life anymore lol

I'm from South Bend originally, left for the Air Force at 18 and never went back. When I first moved to the South, I was shocked to find cars over 4 years old without rust on them. Living in Indiana, I thought all cars rotted out in a few years. I remember a place called Ziebart which would rust proof new cars. I tried to find a place like that in the South when I got my first new vehicle, and discovered no one knew what I was talking about.