How do you know when something is made in China?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Post photos of things you’ve found that are very obviously made in China.

Here’s my water bottle sleeve 😆

IMG_9381.jpeg

If you look at a product and can't find where it's made.....it's made in China !

Ive bought Hockey Jerseys that said Made in Canada on the tags but discovered they were china originated

Other fukkery to be aware of is the US Auto market has changed “Made in USA” to “Made in America” which is for NAFTA, Canada, Mexico and USA. That started yeaaars ago, and kinda pissed me off

Anything that actually says “Made in USA” only needs to be 50% procured here

Last edited:
I bought a household item (a broom) a while back. When I remove the label it had "MADE IN CANADA" molded into the plastic underneath it. Someone at that company needs to rethink how they do things.

Ive bought Hockey Jerseys that said Made in Canada on the tags but discovered they were china originated

Other fukkery to be aware of is the US Auto market has changed “Made in USA” to “Made in America” which is for NAFTA, Canada, Mexico and USA. That started yeaaars ago, and kinda pissed me off

It would be misleading to this but it might have meant that the logos and numbers were put on in Canada. That happens a lot.

Easier to look for made in the USA. If it doesn’t say that it’s made in china
Even made in the USA doesn't necessarily mean that it is 100% made in the USA. It just means 51% of the inputs are domestic. So a big pile of cheap Chinese garbage parts can be assembled and packaged here at a high labor rate and like magic...made in the USA.

Edit - I mistakenly confused the definition of "domestic" with "Made in the USA". Made in the USA has a more stringent "all or virtually all" standard. So disregard the above. Ill leave it there in shame.

Last edited:

Anything that actually says “Made in USA” only needs to be 50% procured here

Ah yes, NAFTA. Pushed on us by BOTH parties.

Even made in the USA doesn't necessarily mean that it is 100% made in the USA. It just means 51% of the inputs are domestic. So a big pile of cheap Chinese garbage parts can be assembled and packaged here at a high labor rate and like magic...made in the USA.

Components are getting harder and harder to find made in the USA and most won't pay for them.

I can think of only one company that I'm aware of that is supposed to be 100% made in the USA. Even with that I would still question raw materials.

Reactions: Blondie70
I can think of only one company that I'm aware of that is supposed to be 100% made in the USA. Even with that I would still question raw materials.
Our knuckles are designed, cast, machined, and shipped from here in SoCal. Even then I can't say with a straight face that I know where the iron comes from. I doubt it is cost effective to bring any or all of it in from outside the US, but I have no way to actually know.

Our knuckles are designed, cast, machined, and shipped from here in SoCal. Even then I can't say with a straight face that I know where the iron comes from. I doubt it is cost effective to bring any or all of it in from outside the US, but I have no way to actually know.

"Sold by Blaine" supercedes "Made in XXXXX". If you are selling something and putting your name behind it, that is all one needs to know as to the provenance.

Reactions: Zorba and mrblaine
1. Says "Made in China" on the box, on the thing, or on Amazon.
2. Costs 1/8 to 1/3 of what the comparable USA thing costs.
3. Comes in that cheesy cardboard.
4. Includes instructions written in English that make absolutely no sense.
5. Almost fits.
6. Includes no repairable/replaceable components.
7. If not plastic, cloth, or leather - rusts in 20 minutes.
8. USA equivalent costs 5 times Chinese version, with 2 times performance improvement.

It's hard to compete with a labor force that works for 41 cents a day.