How do you winter prep your TJ?

Been there, done that from Cheyenne ...

People underestimate the wind/snow in Wyoming. Ground blizzards are in fact a real thing!

I drove from Laramie to Casper late one night (like 2am after a work trip), and I literally couldnt see a damn thing except white from the headlights. I was going 15 mph, and could only use the reflector poles to navigate.

Reactions: Nathan Stanfield
I just bought a very nice 1999 TJ, Forest Green, 47,000 original miles from the original since new owner.
I live in North Pole, Alaska, this will be my 6th Jeep, all Jeeps, previous one was an original 46 Willys wagon. Winter here is 9 months, and my TJ has been winterized including pan heater, battery trickle charger, and heater on transmission 5 speed manual. I also have a set of Blizzak tires for it as these are great tires at 40 to 60 below zero.
My fluids have all been set for arctic conditions including the antifreeze for minus 80. The truck heater is flushed and works well. My Jeep has a hard top and I'm considering an aftermarket insulator blankets for the roof. Also going to install moose lights front and rear, LED type lights and maybe replacement LED headlights.
Survival kit in rear storage area.
That's winter in the far north.

Lt. Mike

Wow.

You should share some photos of the scenery if you get some free time. I would really love to see them and so would many other members.

What do you do up there? Thank you for your service.

The original owners traded in the Jeep with their motorhome, I bought the Jeep from a friend who owns the car dealership. The price was so low I could not say no ... and I do not regret buying the Jeep. Going to install LED headlights, SmittyBuilt front bumper with winch and LED fog lamps (what we call moose lights) and replace the roof rack that was removed by the original owners. Also getting my ham radio antennas installed. I need to drill a hole in the firewall for the radio power cord and the power distribution unit inside the cab. The VHF/UHF antenna is installed but the HF antenna needs to be mounted on the driver side rear panel. The Jeep is a 1999 and has 47,560 original miles on it. They took good care of it and I've completed full weatherization of all fluids, grease, etc.
I'm planning to buy extra sets of all the sensors, computer module, etc.. as spares to have on hand. Is there a list of what's needed under the hood? This far north it pays to keep extras on hand just in case the barge doesn't make it to town... So far this truck drives very well, no issues at all.

jeep 1.jpg

jeep 2.jpg

jeep 3.jpg

People underestimate the wind/snow in Wyoming. Ground blizzards are in fact a real thing!

I drove from Laramie to Casper late one night (like 2am after a work trip), and I literally couldnt see a damn thing except white from the headlights. I was going 15 mph, and could only use the reflector poles to navigate.

That’s the truth! I lived in Alaska for 4 years before we moved here and the snow storms there’s were easy compared to what we get here. Sometimes I have to use a tractor to dig out my driveway but in AK a shovel was all I needed.

You know that the mileage put on the Jeep while being towed is not recorded. For true mileage you need to determine how many miles are on the motorhome to add to your actual mileage. There will be some reduction in the fact the engine was not running.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I start by complaining bitterly and threatening to move south, then I get used to it & realize it’s never as bad as I thought it was going to be and with the breakneck speed time goes by these days winter blasts by in the blink of an eye & we’re back to 9 months of good weather (which sadly also blasts by in the blink of an eye).

Oh, the TJ sits in the garage unless the streets are bone dry & salt free, fuck that bullshit