How does the dipstick tube attach to the engine?

Hap337

So i finished up replacing my water pump and thermostat this weekend (turned into a 2 day project of course lol) and when I was done figured i would check the oil and stuff while i was under the hood. And...the plastic circle part of the dipstick broke off. Tried to grab it, only pushed it down farther. Tried to drill a small hole into the top of the plastic piece remaining on it, was able to do it but eventually pushed the dipstick even farther down the tube! Now it is out of reach of anything.
How does the dipstick tube attach to the engine? Is it a simple thing to take off and get the broken dipstick out?
It is the 4.0L if that helps

Last edited:
Tried one last thing before taking off the tube...took a wire coat hanger filed to a point, heated the tip up with a butane torch til red hot then slid it down in the tube til it hit the plastic piece...waited a little bit and pulled it all out in one piece! Amen!

Reactions: Hook_62 and StG58
Tried one last thing before taking off the tube...took a wire coat hanger filed to a point, heated the tip up with a butane torch til red hot then slid it down in the tube til it hit the plastic piece...waited a little bit and pulled it all out in one piece! Amen!
Damn nice idea, will have to remember that. post that in the how to section?

I have the same problem where the dipstick broke at the tip of the handle. The rest of the piece is inside probably 2 -3 inches deep. I tried to pull it out but it is not coming out. I even tried going the route of removing the tube but the stud that holds the bracket is not coming loose, even after applying a lot of rust penetrant. My other problem is engine cranks but does not start. Does it have to do with the broken dipstick? I hope it is not causing any major problems. Any advice?

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Try getting the stud super-hot, near to but not red-hot, with a torch or similar. Heat works wonders for seized nuts and bolts.

Try getting the stud super-hot, near to but not red-hot, with a torch or similar. Heat works wonders for seized nuts and bolts.
Thanks! Unfortunately, there is not enough room plus there are wires close to the stud. I removed the ground wires but still a bit nervous to put heat close to the wires.

Due to the dipstick being a bit too far (2-3 inches) down. Does that cause any issues with the engine not starting? I put the ground wires back and the plug near the tube bracket is also back on. Not sure why it does not start