How I found religion

I just wanted to share a story from someone who was the biggest atheist imaginable.
When you start the story with "I would have even considered myself an atheist" - you weren't the biggest atheist imaginable ;)

That said, I'm glad you found a sense of faith and community - those are important for a sound and happy life. If you ever want to read/listen to some good research that loosely touches why religion and community makes us feel good, check out some of the earlier books by Brene Brown. If you just told me the 30-second elevator speech of her books (in particular "Connections" and "Daring Greatly"), I probably would have scoffed them off. However, they were intriguing and show what we (the collective we) really need in life to feel content and whole (and why/how religion fits into that for many).

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
200px-The_Gospel_of_the_Flying_Spaghetti_Monster.jpg

To me it's best if everybody celebrates when people find what makes them happy and not dwell on differences. if atheist is a bad word it means christian can be one too, just like about a million other things these days.

Reactions: Zorba
To me it's best if everybody celebrates when people find what makes them happy and not dwell on differences. if atheist is a bad word it means christian can be one too, just like about a million other things these days.
This is exactly right. I personally have significant problems with Abrahamic theology, but that is neither here nor there. People need to have a theology that works for THEM - and Goddess knows (!!) that I've met plenty of Christians et al that are wonderful people. As long as people don't expect special rights and privileges for their particular religion, its all good!

All my life I have been a non-religious person. In fact, I would have even considered myself an atheist. I spent my entire life thinking there was no higher power. About 6 months ago after moving to Arizona we started taking the kids to a youth group at church where they made a lot of friends, but I also made a lot of friends myself. I started staying for the services with the kids and my life changed.

I don't know how to explain it and I never will, but one night I went to bed and dreamt. I can't remember my dream but I remember waking up and feeling entirely changed, like a whole new person, but entirely for the better. I recognized all of my past faults, all the things I had done wrong to others, etc. My wife at the time said to me, "you are acting totally different".

I tried to explain it to her that I think god had spoken to me. She told me I was crazy and that I had never been religious whatsoever in my life. I told her she is right, but I feel like I've seen the light now. To this day (and it hasn't even been that long) I still feel the same way and I truly feel like I've been "awaken" for lack of a better word. I honestly can't explain it but I feel like I have this amazing relationship with the lord that I never had before.

To someone who isn't religious (which was me before) this sounds nuts. It sounds like I drank the Kool-Aid and I totally get that. Religion isn't for everyone, in fact, it wasn't for me before, not one bit.

I just wanted to share a story from someone who was the biggest atheist imaginable. I don't know what happened to me but if I had to guess, I found god.
Chris, I am glad for you and the kids!
Life seems to continue on with us doing our own thing, worrying and engrossed about life, jobs, homes and whatever.
Then, in the fullness of time things change. This doesn't happen with everyone, BUT those who have been regenerated
they will never be the same. They will feel grateful and the wrongs they have done in life are a huge issue.
God Himself will take away our crap and give us a new life and outlook through His Son.

You found God, I think the evidence shows as others have observed God left the 99 to find YOU.
Live in the Grace Jesus Christ gives. All the Best!

In the short run, yes. I think recognizing and following God can make life easier in many ways. Life is hard no matter what, though.
Before I became a believer, I thought those looking to religion were weak minded individuals who were looking for someone to tell them what to do and how to do it. I've now learned that being a believer is way harder than when I wasn't. Fighting the temptations of the world isn't an easy task, and most day's I fail, but this doesn't stop me from trying to glorify God in everything I do.

As some have eluded to, there's a difference between "being religious" and having faith. I consider myself as the latter.
My Dad grew up in a hardcore dust-bowl Baptist family and was a very spiritual man. Growing up we'd only go to church a handful of times per year, mostly on the holidays to appease my mother who was much more involved in the local church than my father ever was.

He'd read us stuff out of the bible every Sunday at breakfast, we'd talk about it, etc... When I got older I asked him why we don't go to church every Sunday, and he told me that there isn't anything that a pastor can tell you that isn't already in the book, and there's no reason to feel like you have to go to someone else's house & give them money to hear about it lol. He'd say that God's everywhere, you can find him on the golf course.

Later I heard other stories from him about his childhood growing up & how the local Baptist minister always had the nicest car & nicest house compared to everyone else in rural Oklahoma. That stuck with him apparently.

Before I became a believer, I thought those looking to religion were weak minded individuals who were looking for someone to tell them what to do and how to do it. I've now learned that being a believer is way harder than when I wasn't. Fighting the temptations of the world isn't an easy task, and most day's I fail, but this doesn't stop me from trying to glorify God in everything I do.
I hope you're not saying that the only way to fight temptation (however one defines that), is to be a "believer"?

Because I have to say that one of the main things that I realized when I moved away from religion was that even if god came to me in physical form and removed any doubt of his/her/its existence, it simply would not change how I lived, how I treated people, or how I treated the world. I try to be the best person I can be for no other reason than to be a better person and because it makes me feel good, would make my family proud, and would make those in my "circle" happy to call me a friend.

MNPTVX9.jpg

If we can get a religion with these guys as the Trinity (and maybe David Attenborough as a patron saint), I'll reconsider :)

There was Catholic priest who had the nickname"shoes" behind his back. Shoes would go collect the money from the parishioners with his Corvette, I've been told there is a picture of him with his Corvette hanging in the church.

Well one day he stops to collect at one house and the woman explained that her husband had left her and the kids with no money. She said one kid didn't have shoes to wear when school starts.

This is when most people would buy shoes for the kid or have the church help. This priest tells the woman to have one kid go to school then have the other go the next. Then he told her not to bother to come to Mass until she could pay the ten percent.

So that is how he got the nickname, I would hang his picture in the bathroom or use it as a dart board. If there is a Hell I hope he is there.

I hope you're not saying that the only way to fight temptation (however one defines that), is to be a "believer"?

Because I have to say that one of the main things that I realized when I moved away from religion was that even if god came to me in physical form and removed any doubt of his/her/its existence, it simply would not change how I lived, how I treated people, or how I treated the world. I try to be the best person I can be for no other reason than to be a better person and because it makes me feel good, would make my family proud, and would make those in my "circle" happy to call me a friend.

View attachment 256914

If we can get a religion with these guys as the Trinity (and maybe David Attenborough as a patron saint), I'll reconsider :)
No, that wasn't what I meant, or wasn't trying to come across as that. You haven't changed, because it sounds like you are a good person, which there aren't enough of in this world. For me, finding God has helped me fight some of the temptations/sins that I participated in before I became a believer. Not sure if that made anymore sense:)

Loving the Trinity pic! My 13 year old last Halloween...he's a big fan.IMG_2179.JPG

Reactions: pc1p
No, that wasn't what I meant, or wasn't trying to come across as that. You haven't changed, because it sounds like you are a good person, which there aren't enough of in this world. For me, finding God has helped me fight some of the temptations/sins that I participated in before I became a believer. Not sure if that made anymore sense:)

Loving the Trinity pic! My 13 year old last Halloween...he's a big fan.
No that is much clearer! I have met some people over the years that are just like you and others that have said basically without religion/God, it is impossible to be a good person, so I was just wanting to clarify your stance.

I’m happy for anybody who is living a better life, in whatever way they define better. If God helps with that, more power to them!

My Dad grew up in a hardcore dust-bowl Baptist family and was a very spiritual man. Growing up we'd only go to church a handful of times per year, mostly on the holidays to appease my mother who was much more involved in the local church than my father ever was.

He'd read us stuff out of the bible every Sunday at breakfast, we'd talk about it, etc... When I got older I asked him why we don't go to church every Sunday, and he told me that there isn't anything that a pastor can tell you that isn't already in the book, and there's no reason to feel like you have to go to someone else's house & give them money to hear about it lol. He'd say that God's everywhere, you can find him on the golf course.

Later I heard other stories from him about his childhood growing up & how the local Baptist minister always had the nicest car & nicest house compared to everyone else in rural Oklahoma. That stuck with him apparently.

I attended a Baptist church that had no building to worship in. The congregation would rent this one building known as "the Grange" on Sundays. The pastor and his wife were young, in their very early 30's, and had an infant daughter. He preached "If I can't back what I say by showing it to you in the Bible, then don't believe it". He and his family were simple folks, as were many in the congregation.

Eventually, we were able to buy an old shop that was once used to do commercial truck repair. It was basically an old wooden barn, and everything smelled of diesel and gasoline. There was also a small 1960's single-wide mobile home on site, which became the pastor's home. Through months of hard work, we were able to convert the shop into a very simple and humble church. You could still tell what the building was in its former life, especially in the summer's heat, when the petroleum products would once again permeate the air inside. lol We had a few pews, and lots of folding chairs and wooden benches. Like I said, a very humble church.

There were folks who lived in the mountains who were dirt poor. We bought an old Dodge Maxi-van, and my uncle's shop donated the parts and labor into making it safe and reliable. We'd make a run up into the little town up there (I can't remember the name, at the moment), and transport anyone who wanted to attend services. I remember stories of rocks being thrown at the van during some of the trips by folks who didn't want "outsiders" in their area. But we did have our regulars from that area. One young couple ended up getting married at our church. Another gentleman, a tall, thin, elderly roughneck simply known as Jim, gave up a life of hard drinking and general mayhem, and became one of the most beloved members of the church. When he passed away, he left behind many, many friends. That church was family to many of us...

Sorry for rambling on. It was all such an incredibly wonderful part of my life, I found myself wandering down memory lane, there. I love the story you shared about your dad, @qslim. I can fully appreciate his way of looking at it all. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
"Religion" can be a dirty word. Look how Jesus dealt with the "religious" people of his day. He called them snakes and vipers. Accepting God's gift of salvation is a wonderful enlightening experience. Yes, it seems that the church is full of hypocrites, but there are many great people there ,too, who are more than willing to help you grow. It's a life-long journey, certainly not always smooth, but well worth it. Good for you for taking those first steps.
Jim

Life is hard. Pain is an integral part of life. Sometimes we can choose our hardships and make life better.

Going to work every day is hard. Not having food and shelter for your family is harder.

Educating children is hard. Living in a society of uneducated people is harder.

Creating a just legal system and maintaining a police force to enforce the laws is hard. Living in a lawless place where violent brutes run wild is much harder.

My perspective may be a little different as I'm a Jew, but I truly believe that trying to follow God makes for a better life and a better world in the here-and-now.

This is part of the Shema (a daily prayer), from Deuteronomy 11:13-21

If, then, you obey the commandments that I enjoin upon you this day, loving the LORD your God and serving Him with all your heart and soul, I will grant the rain for your land in season, the early rain and the late. You shall gather in your new grain and wine and oil— I will also provide grass in the fields for your cattle—and thus you shall eat your fill. Take care not to be lured away to serve other gods and bow to them. For the LORD’s anger will flare up against you, and He will shut up the skies so that there will be no rain and the ground will not yield its produce; and you will soon perish from the good land that the LORD is assigning to you. Therefore impress these My words upon your very heart: bind them as a sign on your hand and let them serve as a symbol on your forehead, and teach them to your children—reciting them when you stay at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you get up; and inscribe them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates— to the end that you and your children may endure, in the land that the LORD swore to your fathers to assign to them, as long as there is a heaven over the earth.