How long before I trash my tailgate hinges?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I have a rear bumper and tire carrier I plan to put on at some point. In the meantime I'm running a 31" wheel and tire on a heavy duty Smittybilt spare tire holder without snubbers. How long before I trash my hinges? No offroad. Just daily driver.

I've got HF rubber mallets to make snubbers with. I just keep failing to find time to take on that project. (It's to f-ing hot to do it during the day. And my evenings seem to get swallowed up with family and other activities.) Just concerned my hinges are gonna trash before I get around to it. Or before I end up putting the tire carrier on.

You should be fine unless you're doing some really unruly washboard roads on a frequent basis at high speeds.

The hinges wont be the problem, it'll crack the tailgate.
Snubbers are the most important part.
Vibration kills.

I spaced mine with PVC pipe and longer bolts.

DSC_0010.jpeg

The hinges wont be the problem, it'll crack the tailgate.
Snubbers are the most important part.
Vibration kills.

I spaced mine with PVC pipe and longer bolts.

View attachment 113997

Ah. I see. Ya. I've got rubber mallet heads to use. But I need to go get longer screws. I have some medium screws but it would mean drilling them almost 2/3rds thru to get them to grab. Not leaving very much mallet material. I just gotta get over to the hardware store. And drill them out and cut them to length. And screw them on.

It's cooling off tonight. If this trend continues into tomorrow. I'll do it then.

Drilling them will be fine. The tire will hold them tightly and support them. And if not, they are MUCH cheaper to replace than your tailgate!

I
Ah. I see. Ya. I've got rubber mallet heads to use. But I need to go get longer screws. I have some medium screws but it would mean drilling them almost 2/3rds thru to get them to grab. Not leaving very much mallet material. I just gotta get over to the hardware store. And drill them out and cut them to length. And screw them on.

It's cooling off tonight. If this trend continues into tomorrow. I'll do it then.
It leaves plenty of mallet material if you re-use the original snubber screws. By the time you mount the spare and tighten the lugs they aren’t going anywhere. Be sure to use a flat washer under the screws just as the original snubbers have.