How many miles is too many on a 4.0?

Unlimited

Thinking about buying a 2005 unlimited with 152000 on the clock, thinking it’s not a good idea but I know that engine is bulletproof, my 97 had 127000 and ran perfect with no leaks or burning oil...

Pics

06CA7B9A-BC23-42ED-869B-B60D1D432A4A.jpeg

2457511A-F5AC-4D4E-8036-4A7A1F8DD0F0.jpeg

I'm not sure if you're looking for an opinion on the engine only or the whole TJ pictured.

For the 4.0, if taken care of you could add both mileages you mentioned together and still keep going.

As for that TJ I don't think it looks too bad. I like that it has spacers between the skid plate and frame, not only does it help prevent major rust, it makes it much easier to see what's already there. The upper front fenders might be rusty under the black panels. I'm not a huge fan of any hinge mounted lights but that's not something I'd run from. As much as I thought I liked the LJs more than the TJs, I've found out over my 8 months of TJ ownership that it wasn't quite true.

I'm not sure if you're looking for an opinion on the engine only or the whole TJ pictured.

For the 4.0, if taken care of you could add both mileages you mentioned together and still keep going.

As for that TJ I don't think it looks too bad. I like that it has spacers between the skid plate and frame, not only does it help prevent major rust, it makes it much easier to see what's already there. The upper front fenders might be rusty under the black panels. I'm not a huge fan of any hinge mounted lights but that's not something I'd run from. As much as I thought I liked the LJs more than the TJs, I've found out over my 8 months of TJ ownership that it wasn't quite true.
Yes there is a spot under the black panel but it’s surface rust at best, I owned a TJ for 10 years, the lj seems to ride better because of the wheel base unlimited sure...

It’s barely broken in at 152k. One guy on here had 600k on his when he sold it.
I’m really worried about the auto trans rebuild, he had to take it back a few times to sort things, so I’m not sure the pmc understands it’s been rebuilt I guess...

I’m really worried about the auto trans rebuild, he had to take it back a few times to sort things, so I’m not sure the pmc understands it’s been rebuilt I guess...

The engine will last 600k no doubt, but even that go with 600k miles had mentioned that he had to have the transmission rebuilt three times, about once every 200k miles, which is normal and to be expected.

If the transmission was rebuild right by a reputable shop, there should be no issue with it at all. It would be worth driving to see how it shifts and everything. I know a new transmission is around $1500 for a refurbished 42RLE. That doesn't include the labor of installing it though.

Reactions: JMT and Unlimited
I had an 89 XJ back in the day. We got rid of it with 240,000 miles and it was still running strong. It was purchased by a friend of a friend and they had it for a few years until a car accident totaled it. I changed the oil regularly and that Jeep remains one of my all time favorites.

Reactions: JMT and Unlimited
Originally bought my ‘99 4.0 with 153k, sold it with 166k, bought it back with 177k and now it’s a little over 180k miles. I’m going through and doing all the preventative maintenance now that I was too lazy/cheap to do before I sold it(not thinking I’d ever buy it back) I’m in it for the long haul now haha
12B80AFB-9005-425B-A982-01DFAC0843A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
We bought a '05 Rubicon for my mom to drive in 2/18. It has 160k on it, runs flawless, I feel that I can turn my back on it and trust it to be dependable for her.

Reactions: JMT
If you really wanna “check” the engine on that future purchase, get it properly looked at. Have a leak down test done. Have a compression check done. Leak down is a much better test to diag issues if the compression shows abnormal on any one of the cylinders.

This test, IMO, is used car buying basics.

How does the rear main seal area look?

Is the previous owner ok with you have a mechanic look it over?

Another good indicator is a coolant pressure test. Although this doesnt give you any indication of engine health, its still a good test to have performed.

It may not hold any value to anyone, but what radiator is in it? A mopar unit arguably shows that the PO has some inclination of TJ knowledge. Is it a Chinese knock off?

My 05 LJ has well over 163k on it. It's got a few minor issues that I'm working on, but it runs strong.