How many of you outdoor cook with a Traeger? If not what is your BBQ rig of choice?

• Wow
Reactions: DrDmoney
Here is pictures of apple wood smoked mozzarella cheese sticks
Dumb question, but what does your apple wood look like? Chips, small sticks, or logs? Dead or green wood?

I have some apple trees to trim and was thinking about harvesting some of the wood to try in smoking.

Dumb question, but what does your apple wood look like? Chips, small sticks, or logs? Dead or green wood?

I have some apple trees to trim and was thinking about harvesting some of the wood to try in smoking.
could be chunks, chips, logs or bought pellets, it is determined by the type of smoker you have and needs to be seasoned (dry) not green.

I use chips for the cheese in my Big Chief smoker which is a cold smoker, I use firewood sized wood on top of chunk charcoal, in my side fire box smoker.

Well, I might be DigiQ shopping soon. My fire in the Kamado Joe went out last night when I was sleeping. Strange because for over an hour before I went to sleep it was at either 227 or 228.

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
Reactions: Viking Jeeper
If you use wood pellets what brand do you get. I've tried a few brands, I keep going back to pit boss competition blend.
I stick with the Traeger because they were the only ones available nearby, now I see more options.

Reactions: DuncLJ
I have a 12lb pre-cooked ham on right now. 1.5 hrs in the smoke then into a foil pan with 1/2 cup burboun, 1/2 OJ, Ginger, 2TBS mustard and a generous pinch of Ancho Chili Powder. Cover and let it simmer for another 2 hrs at 210° until it gets to 135.

Just started 2 tri-tips, gonna smoke them for 1 hour to start.

image.jpg

If you use wood pellets what brand do you get. I've tried a few brands, I keep going back to pit boss competition blend.
I've tried the Traeger, Pit Boss, and Cuisinart brands. I honestly have not been able to tell a difference.

I made two 3lb tri tips this morning. Smoked them till they hit 130 then seared them on some charcoal about 4 minutes a side.
I forgot to take pics, but this is all that is left. Served it with some lobster mac'n'cheese. Everyone is stuffed.

PXL_20210404_230509719~2.jpg

Lumberjack has a great reputation for pellets as they are 100% of the wood they say they are, no oak fillers, they are also available in several retail outlets. I also now see Kingsford advertising 100%, no filler pellets but have not seen them yet. The pellet smoker revolution is in full swing so I would think the availability of great pellets is not far off. You really want the pellets to be 100% of the wood advertised, you really have to look at the fine print. If they say 100% hardwood it is a mix of oak filler along with the cherry, apple, maple etc.

Lumberjack has a great reputation for pellets as they are 100% of the wood they say they are, no oak fillers, they are also available in several retail outlets. I also now see Kingsford advertising 100%, no filler pellets but have not seen them yet. The pellet smoker revolution is in full swing so I would think the availability of great pellets is not far off. You really want the pellets to be 100% of the wood advertised, you really have to look at the fine print. If they say 100% hardwood it is a mix of oak filler along with the cherry, apple, maple etc.
Kingsford is at walmart at least around here it is.

Just started 2 tri-tips, gonna smoke them for 1 hour to start.

View attachment 240826
Looks like we put tri-tip on at about the same time today. Mine was heavily seasoned and cooked indirect on a Webber kettle running 325 to 350 with a big chunk of pecan wood on the briquettes. When it hit 120 it went over the coals for a quick sear on both sides. I about ate myself sick. :)

Reactions: DuncLJ and DrDmoney