How much does your dog eat?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Ive got an 80lb GSD. Who eats about 2 cups of dry and 1 cup of wet food a day.

But now ive got this 4-5 month old Border Collie. That eats about 4 cups of dry puppy food a day. Hes growing fast. And is a good eater. But ive struggled to find the right amount of food to feed him.

I started with 2 cups. Then 3. Then like 5. But he only eats about 4 cups of it. (I break this up in two feedings.)

Just curious how much you guys feed your dogs?

Ive read that 4 cups is about right for his age. And he does not seem to be putting on unnecessary weight. Hes very active. We have a half acre back yard that he plays hard in with his GSD sister. Walks and training.

I also supplement with chicken and beef from time to time. And dried chicken treats. The actual dried breasts. No filler.

IMG_20210121_104444_158.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Scout734
I have a 110lb female Cane Corso (black in pic) and 135lb male Presa Canario (brindle).

The female eats 1 cup in the am and 2 cups in the pm. The male, 1.5 in the am and 2.5 in the pm. Authority brand adult large breed dry food.

Surprisingly, this isn't much more than our 70lb lab and 85lb German shepherd ate when we had them.

We've had some dogs that will stop eating at a point and others we've had to monitor and cut off to keep them from getting overweight.

We've always just monitored and adjusted accordingly to keep them at a healthy weight based on the breed standard and where they fall within.
FB_IMG_1572580804908.jpg
20191214_144301.jpg

Reactions: Swamp Yankee
I can only speak for Lab or Lab mixes. Adults 60-90#'s, get 3 cups per day, per my vet.

My 40# Lab pup was getting 2 cups per day, but the vet said to raise it to 2 1/2 cups per day. She 7 months, and I'm about to call and see when to move up to 3 cups per day.

I have smaller dogs, one 30# Cocker mix who gets about 1.25 cups a day over two feedings, plus treats. Our second dog is a Wire-Hair Fox terrier, she's about 15 # right now and 8ish months old, so still a puppy. She's getting about .75 cups a day in two feedings plus lots of snacks. Our Cocker mix is just a bit over the median weight for his breed. Our Wirehair is growing...I figure she'll finish out around 20 + lbs. Both VERY active dogs.

We have had many greyhounds in the 70-80# range and always have fed them 1.5 cups twice a day.

Greyhounds are pretty inactive and easy to overfeed. other breeds may need a little more.

I don’t know what’s up with your puppy, that sounds like way too much for the weight. What does the vet say?

If he eats 4 cups a day I’d feed him 3 and monitor his weight gain. Yes puppies need more calories per day/body weight but even at that many dogs are way over fed.

I'm a raw feeder, I make all my dogs food, only because of the recalls on dog food.
I know exactly what their eating.
Because the nutritional value of a raw diet is such, my 68lb. golden gets 7ozs. twice a day.
If you want to know what you k9 is getting out of the food they eat, compare the amount going In to the amount coming out.
My goldens turds are no bigger than a small pinecone.

our 140# female Newfie is served 3 cups per day plus prednisone and dasequin

110lb Rottweiler Weimaraner mix eats 2 cups in the morning and two at night. Our 50lb German Shepard and Brittany mix eats nearly the same but she is 1/6th his age and four times as active.

48-50 lb german pinscher... gets 1 cup high protein kibble.

In the past, she would stop eating at 2 cups. After reading everyones portions, now im thinking 1.5 cups is better.

Last edited:
Great looking dog.

For the first year or two feed them as much as they want. I don't even try to stick with a diet until they're full grown. They go through a tremendous amount of fuel just to grow, never mind how active they are.

My mutt (lab and German short hair pointer is best guess) eats 3 cups a day

I feed my 4.5 year old great dane, Fenton, three cups of food twice a day plus whatever extra I decide to put in his food. He's weighing in at 165lbs right now. He is a bit of a weird eater. Some mornings he won't eat much breakfast, but usually he won't skip dinner lol

20200907_103223.jpg

20201205_145953.jpg

I feed my Blue Heeler 2.5 cups every afternoon, she is about 25# way more active than I am.........