How much oil should come out of a 4.0?

Vay

Changed my oil yesterday, 6 quarts 10w30, went right to the full mark on the dipstick. Changed the filter as well. All went well until I poured the used oil from the jeep (including from inside the filter) back into the jug and it read 4 1/2 quarts.

This seems too low to me. Obviously not every drop is going to come out, but a quart and a half seems excessive. I had it parked on a slight incline so the oil would drain to the back of the pan.

Only 67k on the engine and ~5000 since last oil change. Does 4 1/2qt coming out seem concerning to anyone or am I just paranoid? Never noticed any smoke and my oil pressure gauge has not noticeably dropped since last change.

I'm usually down around one quart, maybe a bit more when I change my oil. It's been that way every time I changed the oil since I bought it so I never thought too much of it.

what exactly are you asking? Are you wanting to know typical oil consumption between changes, or if/how much oil is trapped inside the engine when you've drained and removed the filter?

The capacity is 6 quarts, I put in 6 quarts and it's not overfull afterward, so I don't think oil is trapped in any significant amount. There's too much variability in how much oil is held back in the filter to make it worth paying attention to how much came out of the pan.

I don't over think it. I have my cars sit, mostly because I don't want to mess with a hot engine. I check the oil for a read on where it is on the stick.

I change the oil, and put in 6 quarts per spec. I let it set for 5 minutes, come back and check it, it's usually a touch higher , but within the good range and definitely not over full. Never had an issue there personally.

what exactly are you asking? Are you wanting to know typical oil consumption between changes, or if/how much oil is trapped inside the engine when you've drained and removed the filter?

The capacity is 6 quarts, I put in 6 quarts and it's not overfull afterward, so I don't think oil is trapped in any significant amount. There's too much variability in how much oil is held back in the filter to make it worth paying attention to how much came out of the pan.
I was mainly asking what the typical amount should be that comes out of the pan, since I was under the impression that not enough had come out of mine. Thought I might have been burning oil. I think someone said around 1/2 quart for the filter, I never knew it held back that much. If the filter really soaks up enough to make a significant difference then that's good enough for me to sleep at night lol

I'd still check it periodically, sounds like you are either burning or leaking some over the course of that 5000 miles. Even if the filter holds 1/2 quart, you'd still be 1 quart low on oil.

I was mainly asking what the typical amount should be that comes out of the pan, since I was under the impression that not enough had come out of mine. Thought I might have been burning oil. I think someone said around 1/2 quart for the filter, I never knew it held back that much. If the filter really soaks up enough to make a significant difference then that's good enough for me to sleep at night lol

you're making something complicated out of something simple. Just check the dipstick before you pull the plug. You should be checking your oil level periodically between changes anyway.

The engine will run fine on 4.5 qts and it will run fine on 6 qts. If you’re using a bit of oil between changes and experiencing no complaints in relation to the consumption then I wouldn’t even worry about it. I work on newer engines and I constantly find a quart or 2 missing when doing oil changes.

Changed my oil last week and put in 6 qts while draining out 4.5. I do have a leaking valve cover gasket though

In my 47 years of changing oil , I have never measured what came out of the engine. I did however , always measure what went in to the engine. I have never had an oil related failure in any of my cars , which ranged from AMC to Volkswagen. Just do them on time and use factory recommended oil weights.

Reactions: Bas-NL and Tomcat