How much stretch for 37 tire on TJ

TJBrad04

How much additional rear stretch is ideal for a 37" tire? I will be using a Genright fuel tank. I was thinking 5"....

How much additional rear stretch is ideal for a 37" tire? I will be using a Genright fuel tank. I was thinking 5"....
Really depends on the measurement from the center of axle to the rear most portion of the axle housing. That measurment and the amount of stretch your GenRight tank allows without contacting/rubbing is what you have to calculate/mock up and cycle suspension with.

At the end of the day, what wheelbase, tire size, and ground clearance numbers are you shooting for is the real question.

Reactions: Chris
Really depends on the measurement from the center of axle to the rear most portion of the axle housing. That measurment and the amount of stretch your GenRight tank allows without contacting/rubbing is what you have to calculate/mock up and cycle suspension with.

At the end of the day, what wheelbase, tire size, and ground clearance numbers are you shooting for is the real question.
I don't have any "goal" numbers... Just want to do it right the first time, which I'm sure will involve coilovers. I don't see myself going larger than a 37" tire due to garage constraints.

I don't have any "goal" numbers... Just want to do it right the first time, which I'm sure will involve coilovers. I don't see myself going larger than a 37" tire due to garage constraints.
Numbers do matter. A 4 link calc is gonna become your friend.

But stretch it as far back as the GenRight stretch tank will allow. Youll need to know those measurments I mentioned in the first post to get a good calculation. Then I would mock it up from there.

I’m at 99.5” wheelbase and I’m running 37”s. I’m getting ready to stretch the front. I’m hoping to get to 103”. I have read 100”-103” was ideal with 37”s but I don’t know if it was the best advice or not.

Reactions: TJBrad04 and Chris
I’m at 99.5” wheelbase and I’m running 37”s. I’m getting ready to stretch the front. I’m hoping to get to 103”. I have read 100”-103” was ideal with 37”s but I don’t know if it was the best advice or not.

103" is the "magic number" I keep reading about when it comes to 37s on a TJ.

Reactions: Rick Flair
What's your setup in the rear?
I don't have any interest in stretching the front at the moment...

now i'm confused cause i was going back more than 5" for 35's.

i thought i had followed the crumbs to understand even GR's alien (advertised to offer 9" w/Dana 44) tank would not provide me the room to get where i want to be.

maybe i misread or misunderstood.

Last edited:
I'm in the process. 5 1/2" rear and 1" front to get me to 100". Outboarding the rear shocks and cutting out the wheel wells. Using genright 15 gal tank. Putting on genright corner armor after the stretch is done

20200420_150131.jpg