How much to re-paint a TJ?

Not meaning to resurrect an old thread here, but I am returning to the idea of hitting the jeep with a new coat of paint - but now am re-thinking the color change - more thinking about a fresh coat to get the shine and gloss back. Would this be cheaper (assuming I am not as DIY with painting as I am with other things, I'd have it done professionally.

Not meaning to resurrect an old thread here, but I am returning to the idea of hitting the jeep with a new coat of paint - but now am re-thinking the color change - more thinking about a fresh coat to get the shine and gloss back. Would this be cheaper (assuming I am not as DIY with painting as I am with other things, I'd have it done professionally.

Don't bother with a color change unless you're going to do it right (my opinion), which means painting door jams, under the hood, engine bay, etc. That would involve stripping the entire vehicle down to bare metal, which is a tremendous amount of work, and any professional painter would probably charge you easily upwards of 15k for this due to the labor involved.

If you stick with the stock color and they just do a respray, you could get a really, really good paint job for several thousand. A TJ will be easier to paint since there's no top, and the doors easily come off.

Anyone who charges you less than several thousand is either giving you a Maaco quality paint job, or they are just plain stupid (and have no idea what their time is worth).

Reactions: CBJason
Man alive - that's quite a chunk of change just to respray - the jeep just looks dull imho but not sure I wanna throw that kinda money at it right now. I just sold the plow frame which is going to fund (partially) the new 31" tires. Then I want to get a new soft top, and prolly a 2.5" lift.

Well, you could pay $500 for a re-spray from Maaco or similar. The issue with that is that they won't prep your car much at all, so the paint job will start peeling off within a year or two.

You get what you pay for. Don't ever have your vehicle painted unless you're having it done right. Well, that is unless you simply don't care. Some guys might be fine with a Maaco paint job. It would seriously devalue your TJ though!

I'll be painting both my xj and tj next year. I'm going to sand it down and then apply monstaliner in olive drab or black. I want to be able to scrape the side of the jeep with branch or shopping cart and laugh. But first I gotta take care of the rust spots. I can't weld so I "patch" the rust that I cut off. I think it adds character.

The fender rot I got rid of last summer:

IMAG1530_zpszaarathv.jpg

IMAG1544_zps2ctsbenm.jpg

I have repainted several vehicles by removing fenders doors etc. It is not hard just time consuming. I sure as hell didn't pay anything close to 15k. Maybe 1k by the time I included the buffing and cutting compounds. These were in garage, in driveway paint jobs. Now they might not have won awards but I sold all those vehicles and the new owners were very appreciative.

Painting is a knack I have never acquired. I even had a run in a small piece of flat steel I gave a quick coat of satin black to after welding it to my seat base.

My sole suggestion is to only use a paint shop that has experience painting Jeep Wranglers. Most paint shops don't and they don't have a clue how to really get into all its nooks and crannies. I'd also find one or two Colorado Jeeper forums to get recommendations on local paint shops from, there's nothing like some good references. Then come back here of course and let us know what you found and ultimately how it turned out! :)

I have repainted several vehicles by removing fenders doors etc. It is not hard just time consuming. I sure as hell didn't pay anything close to 15k. Maybe 1k by the time I included the buffing and cutting compounds. These were in garage, in driveway paint jobs. Now they might not have won awards but I sold all those vehicles and the new owners were very appreciative.

Well obviously you didn't pay 15k, you did the work yourself.

But isn't your time worth money? :p

Painting is a knack I have never acquired. I even had a run in a small piece of flat steel I gave a quick coat of satin black to after welding it to my seat base.

My sole suggestion is to only use a paint shop that has experience painting Jeep Wranglers. Most paint shops don't and they don't have a clue how to really get into all its nooks and crannies. I'd also find one or two Colorado Jeeper forums to get recommendations on local paint shops from, there's nothing like some good references. Then come back here of course and let us know what you found and ultimately how it turned out! :)
Jerry, color sanding is the key!

Man alive - that's quite a chunk of change just to respray - the jeep just looks dull imho but not sure I wanna throw that kinda money at it right now. I just sold the plow frame which is going to fund (partially) the new 31" tires. Then I want to get a new soft top, and prolly a 2.5" lift.
Get some polishing compound and a good LOW speed polisher. I'm doing a 40 year old boat right now... absolutely amazing difference. Technically the prep is similar for the best results. Remove anything which bolts on.
IMG_0818.jpg

I'll be painting both my xj and tj next year. I'm going to sand it down and then apply monstaliner in olive drab or black. I want to be able to scrape the side of the jeep with branch or shopping cart and laugh. But first I gotta take care of the rust spots. I can't weld so I "patch" the rust that I cut off. I think it adds character.

The fender rot I got rid of last summer:

View attachment 6356

View attachment 6357
I'm impressed. Thats my kind of Jeep. It was built to be driven... not trailered !!

A wrangler is easier to paint because it doesn't have a top and it's smaller. If you just wanted to do a respray in the factory color, I think you could get a very nice paint job for around 5k.

5000 grand? i just had my full size truck painted black pearl for 3500 looked awesome....my 99 tj i thought would be around 2500