How often do you drive your non DD jeep?

Tscott

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a 2004 that hasn't gotten much use lately with work and school. How often should I drive it to keep everything in good working order?

I have a 2004 that hasn't gotten much use lately with work and school. How often should I drive it to keep everything in good working order?
If the battery is charged which it needs to be about every two weeks all I'd do is pump the brakes once a month and press in the clutch pedal if it's manual. Better to run it longer less often than just short bursts. Ideally at least once every six months run it until everything is up to operating temp. Never store it with a full tank of gas, if you just have the minimum there's less to go bad. A year or more will be fine if you only have about 5 gallons in it and add some every few months. Biggest issue is the battery, one of those tenders will save you.

Edit: make sure you run the A/C every time you start it

Last edited:
Reactions: Rubicon John
I live in an apartment in the city (7 foot garage clearance!) and walk to work. I make it a point to take mine out every weekend. Even if it’s just a 5 mile cruise and back. But every 2 weeks would be fine, just keep the battery tender connected and tires inflated and you won’t have much to worry about. I think rodents concern me the most which is why I make it a point every weekend.

The above posts are excellent.

Whatever you do don't let it just sit and sit.

Also and I know this will sound wacky....but if you let a vehicle sit on bare earth , in most climates you will get rusted steel belts in the tires over time.

Hitting that air conditioner switch is important... I just purchased a TJ that had set up a good bit over the last year or so and the air-conditioning had lost its' charge.

I'm at the point that I don't know which is worse... Crazy high mileage or practically none... Sitting can create problems that you just never will expect.

You just cannot go wrong driving it a couple of times a month. I start to go into withdrawals if I don't drive mine enough.