How quickly does an AC drier accumulate moisture?

f22beaver

TJ Enthusiast
I stuck A/C manifold gauges on the other day. 0 on the low side, 25 on the high side. When I pulled off the high side gauge the schrader valve was hissing. So I'm going to replace both schrader valves then draw down a vacuum to see if there's other leaks. It's a new to me Jeep, but I've had it since March with no A/C so I know the system has been open so I will replace the drier before filling it back up with refrigerant.

So then my question is, if I replace the drier now, draw down the vacuum only to realize there's another leak but can't fix it for a couple days, will that ruin the new drier? How long will that drier stay good? If it matters I live in the midwest where it's single digits and impossibly low humidity.

I'm assuming that's not a good plan, so I was actually going to draw it down with the existing drier and if it holds for 48 hrs, then I'll replace the drier. Is this a bad idea?

Every once in a while it looks like you get lucky. I changed both Schrader's last night and it has held exactly at 24" vacuum for about 14 hours now. I'll drive it just holding vacuum for a week or so to make sure it sticks there before filling with refrigerant. Not like I need it when it's 7 degrees outside. :)