SpaceyCasey44

I just bought an 03 Wrangler and the guy who put on the new fender flares didn't put them on correctly. Ther back right flare isn't symmetrical with the left rear flare (as seen in the photos). The front of the back right flare gets rubbed by the tire and I would like to know how to adjust it to get it to match the back left flare. Thank you.

Jeep LR.jpeg

Jeep RR.jpeg

I have a similar set of pocket flares- really poor design, IMO. The floor of the small pocket the screw goes in is not flush with the edge of the flare that touches the side of the Jeep. When the screw is over-tightened it curls the flare inward which pulls the overall flare out of shape. This curling brings the outer lip of the flare inward towards the tire, causing the rubbing. The way I cured this was to go buy some nylon spacers (no rust) about 3/8" thick, if I remember correctly. You will need 30 of them, at least for mine (6 holes in each front, 8 holes for each rear fender). They fill the gap between the flare and the Jeep tub so you don't over-tighten the screws. You could try loosening the screws a bit as a start, but the flares might not return to the correct shape because they are ABS and have a memory to them.

Edit- Of course if only your rear fenders are causing issues, you could just buy them for the back flares.

Reactions: SpaceyCasey44
This might help. As tquig01 mentioned, there are washers that are used to fill in the space between the fender and the flare. If those are missing and the original owner tightened the hell out of the mounting screws, the flares will warp quite a bit.

Edit: get yourself a ratcheting wrench if you don't already have one. Trying to get at the flare bolts behind the tub is a huge pain in the ass without one.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceyCasey44
I have a similar set of pocket flares- really poor design, IMO. The floor of the small pocket the screw goes in is not flush with the edge of the flare that touches the side of the Jeep. When the screw is over-tightened it curls the flare inward which pulls the overall flare out of shape. This curling brings the outer lip of the flare inward towards the tire, causing the rubbing. The way I cured this was to go buy some nylon spacers (no rust) about 3/8" thick, if I remember correctly. You will need 30 of them, at least for mine (6 holes in each front, 8 holes for each rear fender). They fill the gap between the flare and the Jeep tub so you don't over-tighten the screws. You could try loosening the screws a bit as a start, but the flares might not return to the correct shape because they are ABS and have a memory to them.

Edit- Of course if only your rear fenders are causing issues, you could just buy them for the back flares.
thank you for the info, I will definitely try loosening the screw first and hopefully it fixes it