How-to align your axle with an adjustable track bar

So I don’t have a space to work that is even close to level, the concrete is all cracked and at different heights.

I reason I could jack the rear up and level it the best I can and throw it on stands under the axle.
Then I can do the same on the front except keep it on the jacks with wheels to move the axle over.

anyone have any good ideas on dealing with an uneven working area?

I had this same problem when adjusting my upper control arms and I just dealt with the un level ground so I’d like to dial my pinion angle in better while Im messing with the adjustable track bar.

So I don’t have a space to work that is even close to level, the concrete is all cracked and at different heights.

I reason I could jack the rear up and level it the best I can and throw it on stands under the axle.
Then I can do the same on the front except keep it on the jacks with wheels to move the axle over.

anyone have any good ideas on dealing with an uneven working area?

I had this same problem when adjusting my upper control arms and I just dealt with the un level ground so I’d like to dial my pinion angle in better while Im messing with the adjustable track bar.
Align the front axle under the body first and then work on your pinion angle.

You really do need to have the Jeep on flat ground to get this done right. I would not put it on Jack’s to do this. Maybe a parking lot that isn’t too busy or curbside on a lightly used street. It doesn’t take too long or many tools to get the job done. I have installed several adjustable track bars on flat ground without jacks, ratchet straps, pushing, pulling or bouncing.

When your on flat ground with all tires on the ground and you have the new track bar attached at the axle side, have a 2nd person slowly rotate the steering wheel left or right depending on what direction you need to move. this moves the body left or right easily.

My tires stick outside my fenders slightly so I used a 4 foot straight edge vertical against my tire sidewall and used a tape measure to measure the distance between the straight edge and fender. This method has worked well for me. make sure your tires are properly inflated.

Once you get the axle centered you can work on your pinion angle using your adjustable control arms.

Reactions: Schwifty Rich
Looking for advice on the method by which the body should be centered over the axle. Simply disconnect the front track bar and then push and pull (ratchet straps? Bouncing? Shoving?) to get the body centered over the axle? Will leaving all control arms attached prevent it from moving? I tried the bouncing and pushing and shoving and not sure I got anywhere. Your post was titled "how to align your axle with an adjustable track bar" but there was no mention of the track bar or how to actually move the body over the axle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If you have double adjustable arms, you can rotate both UCA bodies simultaneously by identical amounts, just like described earlier for the midarm...works the same for the short arm. Once it's centered, adjust the track bar until the bolt goes in.

If you have single adjustable arms, disconnect ONE UCA to eliminate the triangulation that wants to resist what you're doing. Use a buddy or a ratchet strap or whatever to pull the frame over to where you need it, set the track bar length until a bolt goes in, and then adjust the disconnected UCA so it goes in.

If you just crank the hell out of the ratchet strap pulling it over against the triangulation of the arms, they'll be in a bind. If you have non adjustable arms though, you just have to accept that.