How To Change your Differential Fluid

I just did this a few weeks ago. I couldn't get the seal on the rear diff to break and drain. I finally got it off by taking a razor blade and hammering it in between the cover and the diff. Then, I took a 2nd razor blade, hammered it in behind the first, and that was enough to break the seal.

Reactions: AaronPaul
I just did this a few weeks ago. I couldn't get the seal on the rear diff to break and drain. I finally got it off by taking a razor blade and hammering it in between the cover and the diff. Then, I took a 2nd razor blade, hammered it in behind the first, and that was enough to break the seal.

It can definitely be tough. That’s why I used the putty knife in my video and the side of a hammer. It has yet to fail me on any vehicle I work on.

Glad you got it off, take some ingenuity at time no question.

Thanks for commenting and checking out that video.

It can definitely be tough. That’s why I used the putty knife in my video and the side of a hammer. It has yet to fail me on any vehicle I work on.

Before I stick anything between the cover and housing I usually remove all the bolts except for the one on top and beat the hell out of the cover with a dead blow hammer or a rubber mallet...just to give every chance I can not to resort to methods that can gouge the sealing surface.

Then I put it back together with a lube locker so it comes off nice and easy the next time.

I did the putty knife with the hammer technique. I still couldn't get it to budget. The razor blades had a small enough edge to finally break it open.

Before I stick anything between the cover and housing I usually remove all the bolts except for the one on top and beat the hell out of the cover with a dead blow hammer or a rubber mallet...just to give every chance I can not to resort to methods that can gouge the sealing surface.

Then I put it back together with a lube locker so it comes off nice and easy the next time.

We all have our methods. I hear you about gauging the mating surfaces.
I’ve never had a problem yet but I absolutely understand where you’re coming from.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low