How do I fix a malfunctioning fog light?

jeepmag

Hey all,

I have a 2001 Sahara with OEM fog lights, of which the passenger side is "out." I bought a replacement bulb, but in the process of taking apart the housing for the 'burnt out' bulb, it ended up lighting up, making me wonder if there is a wiring issue. This lasted for a day before the light went out again.

Adjusting the the housing alone is not sufficient to turn the fog light back on, I need to unscrew the housing and make minor adjustments to the bulb itself.

So my question is: Do I need to re-wire the light? Or can I find another way to fix this bulb? Time is a bit of the factor, fog season is about to hit and these lights make a big difference.

The problem sure sounds like it's in the bulb socket itself. I'd give it a close examination, especially inside where the bulb seats.

If it is a bulb socket issue, would it need replacement? Or could it be something that I can clean?
Impossible to know without seeing it. I've repaired bulb sockets but not all can be repaired. I'd take it out and examine it... you might find something very obvious.

I created a threat about a month ago where my side marker light would work intermittently, I spent hours tracing and testing wires. Everything tested good. In the end I sprayed a bunch of electrical contact cleaner from the auto parts store in the socket, let it dry and it has worked perfectly ever since. Moral of the story: try the easy shit first.

Replace the stock candle powered fog lights with LED's and never look back. I tried to sell my oem lights for $20 and ended up throwing them in the trash.