How to flush the cooling system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Per ChatGPT based on my prompts (without spending time)

Here's an expanded step-by-step checklist for flushing the cooling system on a Jeep Wrangler TJ:

1. **Gather Supplies**: Include HOAT coolant and other necessary tools.
2. **Drain Radiator**: Locate the drain plug and carefully drain the old coolant.
3. **Flush Heater Core**: Remove appropriate hoses and flush with water.
4. **Clean Engine Block**: Ensure the engine block is cleaned of old coolant.
5. **Refill with Coolant**: Fill the system with new coolant.
6. **Check for Leaks**: After filling, check the system for any leaks.

For detailed instructions and specific guidance, refer to the full discussion on the Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum [here](https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-flush-the-cooling-system-on-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.1737).

Reactions: Dmn0805
@TJosh02 Thanks for that.
If I was to do a thermocore flush and replace cooling components, Im assuming to operate the jeep with thermocore as directed first then skip to step 2. Finally, replace all components before step 5. Anyone let me know if I am missing anything

Reactions: Dmn0805
I am planning on doing a thermocure flush this weekend to complete my 100k mile fluid refresh . I do have a question about, some say to remove the thermostat and/or replace it ? is this necessary ? I hate to replace something for no reason, but if running the thermocure through it messes it up I will.

I am planning on doing a thermocure flush this weekend to complete my 100k mile fluid refresh . I do have a question about, some say to remove the thermostat and/or replace it ? is this necessary ? I hate to replace something for no reason, but if running the thermocure through it messes it up I will.

Thermocure shouldn't hurt a thermostat. If you're just changing/flushing fluid, roll with it if you want to. If you're changing the pump and hoses, it would be dumb to not change the thermostat at the same time.

Thermocure shouldn't hurt a thermostat. If you're just changing/flushing fluid, roll with it if you want to. If you're changing the pump and hoses, it would be dumb to not change the thermostat at the same time.

yea I dont plan on changing the pump and hose, just flush and change fluid...

Removing the t-stat during a Thermocure flush helps to circulate the coolant throughout the cooling system faster.It is more important when you drain the Thermocure out and flushing the cooling system with distilled water. With the thermostat in, you have to wait for it to get up to operating temp to open the t-stat and for the entire cooling system to circulate. With the t-stat out, the cooling system starts to circulate immediately. So, you can run it for just 5 minutes instead of 20 or more.

Also, a t-stat and gasket is fairly cheap at about $30-35 for both. T-stats are one of the things that can go bad fairly easily so preemptively replacing them isn't a bad idea.

Last edited:
This is a great thread, I'll be honest and admit I didn't read it all but built my parts list from the first page, so maybe someone has already posted something like this. I already had my radiator out for replacement by the time I found this and decided to do the entire coolant system so I couldn't do a traditional flush, I didn't want to introduce any old coolant to the new radiator so I made some PVC adapters to hose connections and used a drill pump to push distilled water through the system. I've done a traditional flush to systems in the past and I felt like this was better since you're not flushing the system out of the small petcock at the bottom of the radiator. I'm sure there are some other options to do the same thing, but I had a lot of the parts already on hand, so I only needed to spend about $12 at my local Ace to get the rest of the parts I needed.

I did drain what I could from the block coolant drain plug, which is a mess if you don't find the perfect amount of threads to let it slowly drain. I found this guy's video and made my own tool out of a 3/8 extension to remove the plug,
, but you can also just buy one and not be impatient like me https://amzn.to/48MgylTI. I also removed the thermostat. I did not put any sealant on the drain plug when I reinstalled it since I knew I would be removing it again to drain any of the distilled water out of the block, from what I could tell this did not leak while I was flushing the system. I did reuse the thermostat housing gasket and that did leak, but was minor.

I pushed the distilled water from the bottom hose to the top to make sure the whole system would have the potential to be filled. I really won't know if the heater core flushed fully doing it this way, but I'll know when I replace the water pump and pull that hose off, if not I'll flush that separately.

Video of the system

Picture of the full system
20240108_162751.jpg

1 1/4" Lower Hose
20240108_161603.jpg

1" Upper Hose
20240108_154945.jpg

Flow Chart
  • Clean bucket full of distilled water
  • Hose
  • Drill Pump, note the flow direction on the pump.
  • Shut off valve
    • This came in handy when I refilled my clean bucket. I shut the valve before I stopped pumping to keep the system full.
  • female to female hose
    • You can also use a regular hose if you used the optional parts list below
  • 1 1/4" lower radiator hose adapter you just made
  • engine
  • 1" upper radiator hose adapter you just made
  • hose
  • waste buckets

Parts List
Here's a parts list with some links if anyone is interested. I was able to get everything from my local Ace hardware stock, but if you're like me and like pictures before heading to the store this will help.

1 1/4" PVC Adapter for Lower Hose
  • 1 1/4 Inch x 3/4 Inch Slip X Slip PVC https://amzn.to/3S9cjvi
  • PVC Hose Adapter with 3/4-Inch Male Hose Thread and 3/4-Inch PVC Pipe Glue Connection https://amzn.to/4aOuei4
  • 3/4" PVC Pipe https://amzn.to/41XY9k0
    • I used scrap pieces for this, and only needed about 6 inches, but it's always nice to have some extra
    • This can also be used for the Upper hose as well
  • Hose Clamp
    • The factory hose clamp will not fit over the adapter
Optional 1 1/4" PVC Adapter for Lower Hose setup (this would eliminate the need for the female to female garden hose)
  • PVC Hose Adapter with 3/4-Inch Female Hose and 3/4-Inch PVC Pipe Glue Connection https://amzn.to/48hL6fv
  • 1 1/4 Inch x 3/4 Inch Slip X Slip PVC https://amzn.to/3S9cjvi
  • 3/4" PVC Pipe https://amzn.to/41XY9k0
    • I used scrap pieces for this, and only needed about 6 inches, but it's always nice to have some extra
    • This can also be used for the Upper hose as well
1" PVC Adapter for Upper Hose
Drill Setup and other items
  • I used 10 gallons of Walmart's finest distilled water. You may want to buy more, but I wouldn't buy less.
  • Drill
    • I used a cordless Dewalt drill, worked perfectly. Make sure you have a fully charged battery or at least a spare on hand.
  • Container for clean distilled water, I used a clean 5 gallon bucket
  • Container for waste fluid, I used 2 dirty buckets.
  • Hose shut off https://amzn.to/3Sct0WP
  • Drill Pump https://amzn.to/3Ha72x0
  • I needed 3 sections of hose
Lessons Learned
  1. I did not think about the female to female hose I would need when buying my parts initially. Luckily I had a short hose I didn't care much for and a female fitting I could install on it. If I did it over again I would use the optional lower hose parts list above. I already had the lower adapter made and had the parts on hand to get it working in the garage so I didn't bother redoing anything. A lot might depend on what you have lying around that garage too.
  2. I reused the thermostat gasket thinking it may leak and if it did it wouldn't be that bad. Of course, it did leak. I purchased a Fel-Pro thermostat gasket for the rebuild and noticed my thermostat came with a new gasket as well. I do wish I had installed the new gasket that came with the new thermostat and then used the Fel-Pro on the final installation.
  3. I had purchased 10 gallons of distilled water and it was coming out clear when I pulled the hose out of the waste bucket, but I think I would have felt a little better running another 5 gallons through the system since the distilled water is so cheap.

Last edited:
I'm doing this in a slightly different order, since I already pulled my old radiator to replace my harmonic balancer. I want to flush my block, but I do not want to get block gunk into the new radiator I'm installing. Here is my thought:
  1. I clean the block as much as I can with OPs method of pulling the plug and running distilled water through the heater core.
  2. Replace thermostat.
  3. Install the radiator and fill with just distilled water and Thermocure.
  4. Drive around for a few miles over the course of a week.
  5. Drain radiator and flush block with distilled water again.
  6. Fill radiator and overflow tank with 50% G05 and 50% distilled water
  7. Done.
Does anyone see any problems with my logic and/or anything that may damage the engine or be counter-productive?

Last edited:
I'm doing this in a slightly different order, since I already pulled my old radiator to replace my harmonic balancer. I want to flush my block, but I do not want to get block gunk into the new radiator I'm installing. Here is my thought:
  1. I clean the block as much as I can with OPs method of pulling the plug and running distilled water through the heater core.
  2. Replace thermostat.
  3. Install the radiator and fill with just distilled water and Thermocure.
  4. Drive around for a few miles over the course of a week.
  5. Drain radiator and flush block with distilled water again.
  6. Fill radiator and overflow tank with 50% G05 and 50% distilled water
  7. Done.
Does anyone see any problems with my logic and/or anything that may damage the engine or be counter-productive?

I wouldn't put the new radiator in and then do thermocure, as that would bring all the junk you cleaned out of the block into the new radiator. I would complete the flush with the old radiator and then install the new radiator. Just my thoughts