STICKY How-to Index

Glad somebody finds it useful besides me. :)

Ferris Buellers Day Off Cameron Frye GIF

I've been kind annoyed by how hard it is to find specific how-to guides on our little forum. We have some great content, but I find it hard to search, even using google. Maybe your google fu is stronger than mine, IDK. But w/o too much effort I extracted the links from the how-to subforum and attempted to classify them. My thinking was that it is easier to do a quick visual scan in a labeled subsection or a ctrl-F to find a specific word. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks so, I guess we'll see. At this point we don't get that much new content here so maintaining this shouldn't be super hard.

If you disagree with the classification of a topic, I can move it. Lots of topics span multiple categories, so I tried to go with the primary topic. Case in point is the guide on the 4WD light. Is that transfer case, electrical, lighting, or interior? I went with lighting, because I had to pick something. There are a bunch of others that weren't immediately obvious how to categorize, so I stuck them in the drunk drawer, confident that y'all would come out of the woodwork to tell me where they should be classified.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I know it will help me. And maybe it will save people from making duplicate how-to's. You probably didn't realize how many of those we had.

Enjoy, flame away.

I hope you're getting paid for this. If not, thank you.

I hope you're getting paid for this. If not, thank you.

I did it because I figured if I found it useful then most likely somebody else did too. Which isn't to say that I didn't receive a suitable reward for my efforts. ;)

But it honestly didn't take all that much effort to get it where it is right now. I'm working on tweaking a little to make the threads have the proper capitalization etc. And also still awaiting the masses to help categorize the handful that I couldn't immediately classify.

Reactions: SSTJ
And since I'll probably wonder how I did this, or if somebody else wants to do better....

Python:
import csv

with open('scratch_1.txt') as file:
    csv_reader = csv.reader(file)
    print('[list]')
    for link in csv_reader:
        l = link[0]

# the BBcode link needs the wranglertjforum domain prefix
        addr = l.replace('https://', '')

# hygiene the human readable link
        s = l.replace('https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/', '')
        s = s.replace('-', ' ')
        s = s[:s.rfind('.')]

print(f'[*][url="{addr}"]{s}[/url]')

print('[/list]')

Look at this guy, using context managers and f strings. I approve

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear