How to install a speaker into a non-subwoofer center console

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
There are several threads about retrofitting new amps and speakers into a sub-woofer center console, but not so much for one that was a "non" - and absolutely nothing that I could find on the 'net for just installing a speaker and retaining as much of the center console space as possible.

This setup is NOT intended for sub-woofer use - indeed, the plastic enclosure wouldn't be the greatest for that, and the configuration I came up with will actually suppress bass to an extent - because I'm going to use it as an extension speaker for a CB radio, where to a certain degree, "tinny" sound is actually an advantage.

I'll let the pix do most of the talking...

DSC09164.JPG

I originally tried using the blanking plate as a speaker mount, but there just wasn't enough room between the grille and the inner (white) liner to do it that way. A hole in the inner liner was a necessity in either event.
DSC09172.JPG

Hole cut in inner liner, clips were supplied with the speaker (6-1/2" nominal, 6-1/4" actual).
DSC09173.JPG

Speaker installed.
DSC09174.JPG

Backside.
DSC09175.JPG

Test fit in (inverted) console: Fits perfectly with original block off plate re-installed...
DSC09176.JPG

... but obviously with an appropriate cut out!
DSC09177.JPG

Testing. Wiring brought out to the front side to exit bottom of console.
DSC09178.JPG

Dog bowl from Mal*Wart, correct diameter, but a bit deeper than absolutely needed.
DSC09179.JPG

Most importantly, it had a mounting flange!
DSC09180.JPG

Pop riveted in place. Inside of console still mostly usable, although ideally this could have been about 1.5" shallower.
DSC09181.JPG

Frontside showing rivets. Speaker can still be removed - I may or may not add sound insulation inside the backing bowl at a later date.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom