How to install a Tom Wood front driveshaft

TurboKeith

Hello guys , I'm a new member and new owner . 2005 Rubicon and it came with a Tom Wood front DS and wondering how big a deal it is to install ? looks as if I have to drop the pan that protects the tranny and after that should be very easy . Am I on the right road ? Thanks Keith

Yep dropping the transfer case skidplate gives better access to where the rear of the driveshaft bolts to the transfer case. Before unbolting the skidplate, place a jackstand under the transmission in front of the skidplate to support it since the skidplate is the rear support for the engine/transmission/transfer case assembly.

Apply a drop or two of blue Loctite to the screw threads before threading them in when installing the new driveshaft. Good decision on going with Tom Wood. :)

I will try to get pics up soon . I have turned a few tools in my time , I have an 87 Buick Grand National that I play with but this Jeep is a little different LOL , I love it tho

One more key suggestion... use a 1/2" socket to remove the four small nuts that are found in the four small openings in the bottom of the skidplate. Those nuts secure the rubber transmission mount to the skidplate. Forgetting to remove those nuts first could break the transmission mount located above the skidplate when it is unbolted from the frame.

Reactions: KCsTJ and derekmac
One more key suggestion... use a 1/2" socket to remove the four small nuts that are found in the four small openings in the bottom of the skidplate. Those nuts secure the rubber transmission mount to the skidplate. Forgetting to remove those nuts first could break the transmission mount located above the skidplate when it is unbolted from the frame.
I will remember to do that , Thank you Jerry