How to install factory cruise control in your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Here's the official installation instructions (PDF) as provided with the Mopar cruise control kit (part number 82209481).

They no longer make the kit, but you may be able to find some leftover new old stock, or you can source out the parts individually from eBay or http://car-part.com.

Most 03-06 models were pre-wired for cruise control (which is covered in these instructions). If yours is, then the install will be as easy as mine is. If yours isn't, you'll need an additional wiring harness for under the hood.

These instructions cover the install in detail, and I have to say that having done it myself on my 2005 Rubicon, it's one of the easiest things I've ever done. Took me maybe 20 minutes tops.

Just wanted to share this so that these instructions aren't lost to the sands of time.

Attachments

• Cruise Control Install.pdf
    463.2 KB · Views: 10,595
Mine actually came with CC, which I'd never seen on a car with a manual transmission before. It comes in handy, but with some caveats. Mostly, it really only makes sense on fairly short runs (< 30-40 miles) or predominately flat land. When you have cruise on an automatic, the transmission still shifts in response to road conditions, but you don't have that with a manual. Therefore, between lugging and slight engine braking, CC can significantly affect your mileage. I saw this firsthand driving up to Tennessee last week from Florida. I used CC between Tampa Bay and just north of Atlanta, and got around 14mpg. Coming back between the same points, I didn't use CC, and averaged over 16mpg. So keep this in mind.

Mine actually came with CC, which I'd never seen on a car with a manual transmission before.

Really? Every vehicle I've owned in the past with a manual transmission has cruise control. My BMW M3, my BMW M5, my Mazda Miata, and a number of other cars. You just have to be much more mindful of the cruise control with a manual, that's for sure.

I use it quite often on my TJ, but only on the highway at high speeds.

If I'm looking on Car Part, what pieces would I need for an 06? It shows a servo, speed regulator and transducer.

If I'm looking on Car Part, what pieces would I need for an 06? It shows a servo, speed regulator and transducer.

You need the two steering wheel switches, the mounting bracket for under the hood, and the servo, which should come complete with the extra throttle cable.

Most 03-06 models were pre-wired for cruise control (which is covered in these instructions). If yours is, then the install will be as easy as mine is.
The kit may (or may not...im a bit confused) have included these individual parts;

Steering wheel buttons: RT-56042310AD/LT-56042311AD
Servo Bracket: 52109523AB
Clip (cable to servo): 6025867
Servo: 4669979
Harness-speed control vacuum: 52109525AD
Speed Control Cable: 52109524AD

Which ones were required for your installation?

One thing to keep in mind, after 98 the resistance used in the steering wheel switches changed. You would need to get 97-98 switches to install on those year wranglers or it won’t communicate with the ecm.
All the other components should work from different years, if you’re sourcing used parts.

The kit may (or may not...im a bit confused) have included these individual parts;

Steering wheel buttons: RT-56042310AD/LT-56042311AD
Servo Bracket: 52109523AB
Clip (cable to servo): 6025867
Servo: 4669979
Harness-speed control vacuum: 52109525AD
Speed Control Cable: 52109524AD

Which ones were required for your installation?

All of that was required.

Reactions: steelhd
Glad I came across this, I swear my CC worked when I first got the Jeep but doesn’t seem to turn on anymore at any speed. This ought to at least help me troubleshoot it knowing where the components are instead of poking around in the dark.

Reactions: Chris
im looking to purchase a crusie control setup. the cc kit is coming from an 99 wrangler Sport 4.0. i owe a 03 jeep wrangler sport. are they compatible? thank yall for helping.

im looking to purchase a crusie control setup. the cc kit is coming from an 99 wrangler Sport 4.0. i owe a 03 jeep wrangler sport. are they compatible? thank yall for helping.

Yes they are.

Mine actually came with CC, which I'd never seen on a car with a manual transmission before. It comes in handy, but with some caveats. Mostly, it really only makes sense on fairly short runs (< 30-40 miles) or predominately flat land. When you have cruise on an automatic, the transmission still shifts in response to road conditions, but you don't have that with a manual. Therefore, between lugging and slight engine braking, CC can significantly affect your mileage. I saw this firsthand driving up to Tennessee last week from Florida. I used CC between Tampa Bay and just north of Atlanta, and got around 14mpg. Coming back between the same points, I didn't use CC, and averaged over 16mpg. So keep this in mind.

Sure, but you also climb in elevation on the way there and you go down on the way back. You might have had different winds, etc. Admittedly, there are a lot of ups and downs. You have not isolated the variables to say it was due to CC.

Reactions: U8MYDZT
I made a video on how to do this on an 03-06.

Hardest part was finding the bracket and the vacuum lines. In the end I had to make own lines as I couldn't find them anywhere.

Great video, thanks for sharing.

It's a very simple install, especially if your TJ is pre-wired for it.

Reactions: 064banger
If I get all the parts for my 97 tj.. airbag switches servo clock spring can I do this CC hookup? Im not set up for Cc. Question is, is the wiring on the back of a non CC tj the same as a tj with CC? I have shop manual with wiring scematic. What wireing would I have to add? OR should I just buy the aftermarket kit?

If I get all the parts for my 97 tj.. airbag switches servo clock spring can I do this CC hookup? Im not set up for Cc. Question is, is the wiring on the back of a non CC tj the same as a tj with CC? I have shop manual with wiring scematic. What wireing would I have to add? OR should I just buy the aftermarket kit?

Your 97 is likely not pre-wired for it. You’ll need to source the full harness from another TJ equipped with cruise control most likely.

Your 97 is likely not pre-wired for it. You’ll need to source the full harness from another TJ equipped with cruise control most likely.

As Chris said, you will need a complete harness as the 97 didn’t have cruise available as an option, so none of the wiring will be there. Also if you want the cruise light to work you’ll need a cluster from a 98 or 99 as the 97 doesn’t have the light in the dash.

Reactions: Chris