How to install JKU wheel on TJ spare tire carrier

Moliver11

Supporting Member
Last year a buddy gave me his 2016 Rubicon wheels/tires for my 2003 TJ. I needed new tires and with only 13K miles on the JKU 255/75R17 BFG M/T’s, free was a good deal 😉. Installation of the JKU wheels with 5x5 bolt pattern was easy with 1.25” Spidertrax adapters.

I didn’t think mounting the spare would be difficult. Should have been the same as the 4 wheels on the ground by using an adapter. Well, that’s where things started getting sideways. My TJ is bone stock, including the rear bumper. After adding an adapter for the bolt pattern on the spare carrier, the 255/75R17 hit the rear bumper.

I tried several different spare tire relocation brackets and ended up with EAG. Not only did it allow the 5x5 bolt pattern to work with the TJ’s factory carrier, it also pushed the wheel/tire out and up. It no longer hits the bumper. The negative; the tire no longer rests against the (5) rubber “snubbers” on the tailgate and the 3rd brake light wasn’t visible.

To correct the 3rd brake light from being covered up, I added a Teraflex 3rd brake light extender. Unfortunately the bolts provided by Teraflex weren’t long enough. Apparently some TJ’s have two plastic spacers already installed under the 3rd brake light from the factory. A run to the hardware store for (4) 2” bolts fixed the issue. I could have gotten away with 1.5” bolts. Now I’m able to use the Teraflex 3rd brake light spacer.
1629239325163.jpeg

With the 3rd brake light visible, time to get the spare to mount against the tailgate “snubbers” or whatever they’re called. I read several posts for ideas and ended up buying (5) additional used snubbers for $23 shipped with hopes of adding length for the tire to rest against the tailgate.

After several trips to the hardware store, I found that a M16-1.0 X 60mm screw works perfectly when sandwiching (2) snubbers together and mounting to the threaded holes in the tub.
1629238903450.jpeg

1629238919856.jpeg

I didn’t trim the 2nd set of snubbers, wanted to see how much clearance I needed first. I mounted the snubbers with backsides connecting. The 60mm length screw worked perfectly
1629238944251.jpeg

1629238959864.jpeg
Mounting the 2 snubbers was easy. Sandwiched them together and screwed into the existing holes with the longer 60mm screws. Without knowing they are extended and flipped during install, it looks fairly stock.
1629239055133.jpeg

After installing the spare, all 5 extended snubbers connected with the spare perfectly. The spare feels very secure and rests against the tailgate as it did when running stock wheels/tires (or close to it).
1629239264611.jpeg

Hopes this helps. Others in this forum that also bought JKU wheels with larger tires had similar issues and used different methods for the spare to fit and rest against the tailgate. Someone who used a 2nd set of snubbers inspired my install. Wanted to share my method, the end product looks factory and brake light visible.

1629238375052.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelGH