How to remove drive shafts?

Clarythedrill

To all,

I need to remove both drive shafts to do some seal replacing in the transmission and x-fer case. I know how to disconnect the shafts from the diffs, but when I try to pull the shafts away from the x-fer case, they do not budge. Are they just stuck and need some hammer action, or am I not doing something I need to do? Everything is stock with them. There appears to be a rubber boot of some sort, and a metal brace where the shaft meets the x-fer case, again, it is stock. Thanks for any help.

Edit: it is a 2001 stock TJ with the auto transmission and regular x-fer case and 4.0.

There are 4 bolts for each shaft that hold them on the transfercase yokes.

There are 4 bolts for each shaft that hold them on the transfercase yokes.
That is not the problem, the problem is pulling the shafts out/off of the x-fer case once I have removed the bolts from the diffs. The shafts hang down once free from the diffs, but I can not pull them away from the x-fer case. I have not bolts holding the shafts to the x-fer case.

The rear driveshaft should just have a slip yoke if its stock. A few light taps should do it. The front driveshaft is bolted to the transfer case

That is not the problem, the problem is pulling the shafts out/off of the x-fer case once I have removed the bolts from the diffs. The shafts hang down once free from the diffs, but I can not pull them away from the x-fer case.

There are four bolts at the transfer case end, just like at the differential. The yoke does not come out with the drive shaft.

That is not the problem, the problem is pulling the shafts out/off of the x-fer case once I have removed the bolts from the diffs. The shafts hang down once free from the diffs, but I can not pull them away from the x-fer case. I have not bolts holding the shafts to the x-fer case.

Right, because there are 4 other bolts holding the driveshaft to the yoke attached to the tcase

Front transfer yolk... unbolt 4 small bolts at the yolk. Remove the Ujoint retaining straps. The d.s. can now be removed. If it has been installed for a while it may be a bit hard. Use a pry bar between the Ujoint and transfer yolk and pop the shaft free. Easy Peasy.

Rear transfer.... unbolt 4 bolts from rear axle. Remove Ubolt straps. Separate d.s. from rear axle pinion yolk. Now move d.s. rearward. Shaft should slide out of transfer case. If it doesn't then slide the shaft back all the way in to the transfer and then pull harder to the rear to remove d.s.

If you have a slip yolk eliminater on the rear transfer output then remove the rear d.s. the same as the front d.s.