How to Remove Interior Panels from Full Doors

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
I've done this on half-doors before, but not on full doors. Looks like this window handle needs to come off and then the rest of the process will be the same.

Do I just pull until it pops off, or will I find bolt behind that plastic cover? Don't want to break anything trying.

IMG_7905.jpeg

Door handle off, all the torx screws (5 i think) then start from the bottom furthest away from the hinges. To pull it off, pull away from the front top corner where it slides under the window

Reactions: SSTJ
If you’re asking how to remove the window crank there is a clip at the base of the crank. If you gently pry the handle and look in between the handle and door panel you will see it. I find it easiest to use a small hook shaped pick to grab it and pull it out. After the clip is off the handle slides right off. To reinstall place the clip on the handle first. Then just pop it on.

There’s a special tool to pull that clip, but you can also use a rag to pull the clip. I think there’s a YouTube video showing how simple it really is. I’ll hunt for it.
If you pull hard on that window crank you’ll break it.

Reactions: SSTJ
I have been getting my window crank clip off with a thin screw driver and small curved needle nose pliers. Not ideal but it worked for me. These aren’t my full time doors as I have half doors so don’t mind a little scratch on the panel

Keep an eye on the spring clip.. The clip-gremlin will send it flying to wherever all the missing socks, and 10mm sockets are.

I used a small hook tool. Takes five minutes to get the door panels off. You might want to buy a bag of the trim clips.. you're sure to break a few especially if it's the first time the panels have been removed.

Just had my door panels refinished..

Reactions: alittleoff
Keep an eye on the spring clip.. The clip-gremlin will send it flying to wherever all the missing socks, and 10mm sockets are.

I used a small hook tool. Takes five minutes to get the door panels off. You might want to buy a bag of the trim clips.. you're sure to break a few especially if it's the first time the panels have been removed.

Just had my door panels refinished..

Thanks. Yup, I’ve got a set of the clips from doing this on my half doors.

Reactions: MikekiM
Haha, the clip-gremlin. The janitor at a body shop that I worked at in high school, used to run a metal detector over the sweepings looking for loose change.
He had a pile of crank clips that the body guys looked through.

To pull it off, pull away from the front top corner where it slides under the window

I'm on this last step and it seems like I'm going to break something. Does the black weatherstripping (that rubs against the window) come off with the panel, or is the panel supposed to slip out from underneath it?