How to remove Torx bolts?

I've always used the wives hair dryer. Of course, your wife significant other (just in case) might beat the hell out you. Just remember to clean off the greasy finger prints :rolleyes:

I've always used the wives hair dryer. Of course, your wife significant other (just in case) might beat the hell out you. Just remember to clean off the greasy finger prints :rolleyes:
Haha thanks oldtimer, my significant other bloke..wouldnt have a clue...lots of suggestions though 😂.. unfortunate for me this is my mission as many many others 🙄

Omgosh ive been trying to take these damn things off all day, i even used a blow torch for 40 secs & impact driver and....nothing, zip!
Things a chick does for roof racks 🙄 (any other ideas guys)??

Have you tried a hand impact with the appropriate sized torx bit?
51feIPzm+WL._AC_SY400_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPUJYE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: billiebob
No i can honestly say i havent tried this hand impact driver...tried an makita impact driver/drill driver/socket set with and without extensions (crc/blow torch included)...uhhh wrangler installer...please haha
my Milwaukee impact wasn't moving them but the hand impact did

No i can honestly say i havent tried this hand impact driver...tried an makita impact driver/drill driver/socket set with and without extensions (crc/blow torch included)...uhhh wrangler installer...please haha
My torx bolts have never been moved or even looked at..still the original paint inside the bolt head not even a scratch uhhhh lol

My torx bolts have never been moved or even looked at..still the original paint inside the bolt head not even a scratch uhhhh lol

What kind of blowtorch did you use? Propane? Map? If you have access and don't mind paint scarring, any oxy-acetylene setup will have those spinning out with no issues. Mine had never been taken out before and I had to replace my windshield frame due to rust. I put a torx bit in there and tried to turn it but it was pretty obvious it was going to strip. I heated the head to dull red with the torch, stuck the torx bit in there and it spun with very little force. If you are worried about the paint, some say you can heat the torx bit to red with the torch then put it in the bolt and let heat transfer due the trick. I haven't tried this.

The impact drivers mentioned above seem to break some of them loose but strip some, from what I've read. The blue wrench never fails. Just be careful and don't start your whole rig on fire!

Buy a bottle of EZ Grip friction drops & try putting just a dab in the fastener head. Multiplies the grip strength of your bit, helps to prevent stripping. We use this stuff on aircraft panels with recessed fasteners that sometimes number in the hundreds, it works really well. A bottle will last you ten years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFEJY5W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Buy a bottle of EZ Grip friction drops & try putting just a dab in the fastener head. Multiplies the grip strength of your bit, helps to prevent stripping. We use this stuff on aircraft panels with recessed fasteners that sometimes number in the hundreds, it works really well. A bottle will last you ten years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFEJY5W/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Thanks might be worth buying, im always doing some mission..giv2 it a go. 👍

What kind of blowtorch did you use? Propane? Map? If you have access and don't mind paint scarring, any oxy-acetylene setup will have those spinning out with no issues. Mine had never been taken out before and I had to replace my windshield frame due to rust. I put a torx bit in there and tried to turn it but it was pretty obvious it was going to strip. I heated the head to dull red with the torch, stuck the torx bit in there and it spun with very little force. If you are worried about the paint, some say you can heat the torx bit to red with the torch then put it in the bolt and let heat transfer due the trick. I haven't tried this.

The impact drivers mentioned above seem to break some of them loose but strip some, from what I've read. The blue wrench never fails. Just be careful and don't start your whole rig on fire!

Hey Hardtailpan, i tried it with propane blow torch..probably lucky i dont have oxy setup hahaha.
Didnt think about heating the bit up, thats actually a good idea..
Whats the blue wrench? For future info..

Reactions: hardtailpan
Those particular torx bolts that hold on the mirrors are a bitch to get off, they were on my TJ as well.

The best way I can tell you to get them off is to take the correct torx bit, hammer it into the bolt (the hammering makes sure it's in their really good), get a big breaker bar, and break it loose while holding the head of the ratchet / socket so it doesn't move out of place.

The hammering technique I've found works very nicely for those stubborn bolts.
Use an old man Johnny bar and an air chisel, they just turn out with the air chisel just banging away. Breaker bar is more likely to twist the head off.

Reactions: billiebob and Chris
Hey Hardtailpan, i tried it with propane blow torch..probably lucky i dont have oxy setup hahaha.
Didnt think about heating the bit up, thats actually a good idea..
Whats the blue wrench? For future info..

I can't take credit for the heating up the bit idea, someone on here suggested that and I have no idea if it will provide enough heat to do the trick. Propane will likely not be hot enough to make a difference.

An oxy-acetylene torch burns blue at the cone, so I call it the "blue wrench!"

I've used both propane and MAP gas successfully on virgin TJ body TORX without ruining the paint let alone heating them to dull red. Maybe I caused a bit of discoloration but I'd bet a person couldn't easily tell which ones were heated and which ones were never touched.

Reactions: billiebob
I can't take credit for the heating up the bit idea, someone on here suggested that and I have no idea if it will provide enough heat to do the trick. Propane will likely not be hot enough to make a difference.

An oxy-acetylene torch burns blue at the cone, so I call it the "blue wrench!"
It’s 6500 degrees, give or take some

Whats the blue wrench? For future info
Oxy-acetylene - don’t use that, you’ll just turn it into liquid. For something painted I’d stick to butane or propane.
Use an old man Johnny bar
Those things are tits, but you need to have a nearby hole to thread into. Not a problem on a jet with a thousand fastener heads everywhere you look!
Thanks might be worth buying, im always doing some mission..giv2 it a go. 👍
I’m telling you, the stuff works. I hawk it like I’m an investor. I use it on stubborn bolts with an open wrench, recessed fasteners, regular bolts with a socket... If you buy it & you you don’t see your bowling score go up & your golf score go down I’ll reimburse you. I put that shit on everything like Frank’s Red Hot!

• Haha
Reactions: DEValken
Mine were like a pan head style, took a cut off wheel and dremel and cut the top and bottom off, basically making the head oval. Then used a cresent wrench. This also worked good on all the frozen from bumper bolts.

Those things are tits, but you need to have a nearby hole to thread into. Not a problem on a jet with a thousand fastener heads everywhere you look!
I used it all over 3 jeeps, just get real APEX torx bits and you should be good. Good for the roll bar screws too.

Oxy-acetylene - don’t use that, you’ll just turn it into liquid. For something painted I’d stick to butane or propane.
The only way this happens is if you don't know what your doing. Myself and mechanics all across the world use this process to remove stuck bolts on a regular basis. They certainly don't "just turn into liquid."

There is however no question that it is very hard on the paint. One can certainly try the lower heat methods first, just be careful not to strip the head or you will be either Drilling it out or welding it out.

I used it all over 3 jeeps, just get real APEX torx bits and you should be good. Good for the roll bar screws too.
Oh my bad, I was thinking of a Johnson bar, not a Johnny bar.

Reactions: astjp2