How to restore fenders?

If that doesn't work I might try the heat method.

The heat gun method works by drawing oils within the plastic to the surface. It will work, but it will be temporary. With repeated application, the plastic will become more and more brittle. Being that yours are green and rare, I suggest finding another solution. Back to black works, but wears off quickly. I soak mine (black) with a quality tire dressing from Surf City that last longer, but also wears off. Shy of having them painted, you will have to work to keep them looking good.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Maybe sell them since they are rare and buy some black ones? Couldnt tell if you wanted to keep them green or pqint them black. Either way, its sort of a shame to destroy parts that are hard to find.

I would even buy some black ones and paint them green if I wanted green before messing with the original stock pieces.

I sprayed mine with bedliner then topped with clearcoat. Have been happy with the result. My first attempt had no clear coating and they stained easily.

Reactions: JMT
Maybe sell them since they are rare and buy some black ones? Couldnt tell if you wanted to keep them green or pqint them black. Either way, its sort of a shame to destroy parts that are hard to find.

I would even buy some black ones and paint them green if I wanted green before messing with the original stock pieces.

I've considered this... Might end up doing that.

Reactions: Vtx531
Black flares don't look too bad on them. If it has the original green soft top, you'll have to replace it with a black one anyway.

1662548881593.png

Reactions: JMT
I've got green fenders and don't want to paint them. Also can't use the back to black tricks cause they're green... Well almost grey green at this point.

I've read the heat gun trick is only temporary and can't be don't more then once or twice.... But couldn't you just heat gun it then seal it with some clear coat? Not sure if that'd prevent it from fading again.

Hmm…that’s an interesting and rare OEM flare color. At this point I would replace the flares since they are semi-brittle. OMIX have worked well for me on one of my rigs. Then I would find the paint code and prep, prime, and paint. Some good info is available on here to get a good and lasting finish.

If the color is not that important to you, just replace. The green is pretty cool though.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I was thinking of buying a 05' Willys edition (auto) with under 100,000 miles last month. When I went to look at it, the top and flares were black and they painted the rocker guards black to match. That takes away from the original purpose of them making that edition. The waterproof camo seats are cool though
p.s. I wish I never sold mine, but I needed the $22,000 at the time (2013 and under 15,000 miles on it). Still do. :(
p.p.s. The guy I sold it to offered to sell it back to me after a few years (and a lot more miles). I turned him down because he lived in New Jersey (rust).
Willys).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueC
I've got green fenders and don't want to paint them. Also can't use the back to black tricks cause they're green... Well almost grey green at this point.
Take the Jeep or just the flares to an auto body and paint shop. They should be able to come up with a reasonable color match and have flex additives for the paint to prevent cracking over time.

Reactions: JMT and BlueC
Why would I need to replace it? My top looks fantastic right now as green.
Although the all black does look nice too.

I assume he meant that eventually, you will need to replace. Eventually could mean 1-2 years, 5-10 years, 10-15 years, who knows? It depends on how well you take care of it and how much it gets worn by the outdoor elements.

Sounds like the soft top is good enough to merit trying to match the flares. In the long haul, if you replace the top you could swap to a hard top and color match it with the OEM colored flares. That would be awesome and as close as you can be to maintaining OEM appearance.

Have you looked at the SEM colors available? Maybe consider painting them. I painted my Rubicon flares with SEM spray paint and was pretty pleased with the results.

View attachment 357613

View attachment 357615

Wow! May need to check that out! Very nice! I've used Turtle Wax black restorer & it only works for a week at best. Tired of my sorry looking fender flares!!

Auto touch up paint. Com..Put your vin# and get a match. They sell base,clear,primer. I have done a few cars with different clor bumpers from the sun. Perfect match that goes on easy for less than $100

Reactions: Pantera99
If you want to go that route try the SEM Bumper Coater instead. Made specifically for plastics, no adhesion promoter required, no primer required, and stays flexible.
[URL]https://www.semproducts.com/product/bumper-coatertm-aerosols[/URL]

Check to see if the SEM Bumper Coater has the color you desire. If I remember correctly, the options are fairly limited. If you want to go with the factory color/look, I would recommend SEM Landau Black with clear low luster over the top.