How to use GMRS

bucky

Old Fart
Supporting Member
So I need to put a 2 way radio in my Tj. I’ve been using CB since the 70s and am well versed in their capabilities. My GMRS experience has only been using the small hand held units to communicate while backing trailers and use around the yard directing flat bed semi loading. It sure beats yelling directions.

My questions are:
1) Are there designated channels such as channels 9 (emergency) and 19 (highway use) on CB?
2) Is there a go to channel for use on the trail or is there just consensus between your trail group?
3) Do certain trails use a specific channel?
4) Can and how do I connect it to an intercom system to enable me to hear the radio on it?
I’m trying to get as much information so I buy the best system for my needs the first time.

Last edited:
So I need to put a 2 way radio in my Tj. I’ve been using CB since the 70s and am well versed in their capabilities. My GRMS experience has only been using the small hand held units to communicate while backing trailers and use around the yard directing flat bed semi loading. It sure beats yelling directions.

My questions are:
1) Are there designated channels such as channels 9 (emergency) and 19 (highway use) on CB?
2) Is there a go to channel for use on the trail or is there just consensus between your trail group?
4) Can and how do I connect it to an intercom system to enable me to hear the radio on it?
I’m trying to get as much information so I buy the best system for my needs the first time.
Search results if you use G M R S (not GRMS).
General Mobile Radio Service

https://wranglertjforum.com/search/1633375/?q=gmrs&c[title_only]=1&o=date

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

License is $35/10yr for entire extended family.

I have only little experience using my GMRS radio, I held out for as long as I could until my CB quit. The only designated channels I am aware of, and not all GMRS radios have it, are the weather frequencies which I believe are on the 162.400-162.550 MHz frequencies.

Use whatever channel/frequency you and your group want. Just realize there may be others on the trail or nearby that happen to be on the same one.

No idea on a PA system. When I was looking at radios I dont recall any of them having that feature, though that is not to say there isn't a unit out there that does have it.

As to licensing--(we'll see who gets upset) I dont have one. I doubt I will get one. We use ours on the trail and thats it. The FCC police haven't kicked down my door yet.

Reactions: matkal
So I need to put a 2 way radio in my Tj. I’ve been using CB since the 70s and am well versed in their capabilities. My GRMS experience has only been using the small hand held units to communicate while backing trailers and use around the yard directing flat bed semi loading. It sure beats yelling directions.

My questions are:
No
You choose.
Don't know about formal "trails".
Check Rugged Radios but beware the hype..
www.buytwowayradios.com

Not that I have found. However, there are always local clubs whose repeaters may use one of the decimated channels.

Not that I know of, but others may know better than I.

I'm going to bet that trails will monitor a certain channel, but that's probably whatever one they choose based on what channels are busy from any other nearby users.

I know what you mean. My CB does this. Don't know if it's possible on any GMRS models. But you could always just find a way to use the external speaker jack for this, assuming that the unit you buy has one.

Sorry for the typo. Correction made.
10-4 on the license. One of the groups I go out with use Marine radios when we ride in the Mojave. Very illegal I know.
Thanks for the links. I never have much luck finding usable previous posts.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Not that I have found. However, there are always local clubs whose repeaters may use one of the decimated channels.
We got permission from multiple area repeater owners to use their system. Enhances coverage to 50mi radius. Repeaters at 7000', trails 4-5k.
Unlike CB, dead silent when idle.

Last edited:
Reactions: SSTJ
If you go on YouTube, there's a poster who advocates channel 16 for trails and channel 19 for the hwy. He goes by notarubicon. He's got a very dry sense of humor but is a GMRS guru.

Reactions: Kurt_S
If you go on YouTube, there's a poster who advocates channel 16 for trails and channel 19 for the hwy. He goes by notarubicon. He's got a very dry sense of humor but is a GMRS guru.
That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. Channels 16 and 19 on CB, right? So does this person recommend a specific frequency on GMRS for trails?

I don't have a GMRS radio yet, so I don't know if they have "numbered" channel frequencies like CB radios do, or if they just display the frequency like a Ham radio.