How would you build my TJ?

Blkout

Thanks for all the help in fixing my 06 rubicon tj manual. My next question is how would you build my jeep for overlanding. I am not going to rock crawl....looking at traveling the states and Canada, I need to purchase a hard top and rooftop tent.....what else would you do? Lift, tires, winch....extras....favorite mods....thanks and happy jeeping:)

Honestly? I'd do nothing. Not even a roof top tent; they only make "setting up camp" and exploring for the rest of the day more difficult since you can't crawl right into bed after a late night adventure.

Fix anything that bugs you and buy a few cheap totes or duffle if you don't already own some so you can stay organized.

Invest in upgrades once you find a need or desire for them. This way you don't end up with upgrades that end up turning out to be hassles.

toximus seems to have some great advice on this topic, especially about the roof top tent. If you want to keep it off the ground and you're not doing major mud bogs a trailer "top" tent may help.

While I'm currently focused on rock crawling, my roots are in camping and adventures. I've spent well over a few years worth of combined nights sleeping in cars, tents, hammocks, bug nets, and under the stars. There's a lot of things that can bring comfort at night but are an absolute pain to carry during the day. Bring what you need and nothing more, the joys should come from the adventure and not what you brought.

NO LIFT !!

What you described requires reliability. Stay as stock as possible. Jeep R&D is way better than Smitty Built R&D. You have lockers so a winch is kinda superfluous, but if you want one yeah. Keep it light.

As toximus says, an RTT normally means you are not moving till you break camp. There are some RTTs which can move around set up but still you cannot go for beer without breaking camp.

An RTT might beat the heck out of a tent and are a great choice if you put it on a trailer. BUT keep the TJ stock. Work on refrigeration, shade, cooking, dining. The TJ will be fabulous stock.

I've had 3 lifts on this TJR, now I am box stock and loving the ride and reliability.
This is my rig. I love the flexibility of a trailer and the comfort of a full double bed mattress.

It took me 40 years to get here.

DSCN1491.jpeg

Last edited:
I nearly went this route with my LJ rubicon so here is what I was going to do.

• Try to keep it light because all the camping/overlanding gear is going to add weight.
  • I'd stick with a 33 inch AT tire maybe (and I'm going got get hate for this) consider 17-inch rims
  • Work on any and all factory wore out parts before any big upgrades
  • Do a small budget spacer lift and run something like Rancho 5000x shocks.
  • Put an Aux fuse box in
  • Upgrade the stereo and speakers. Maybe consider a double din unit with android or get a tablet mounted.

Reactions: BoundlessBasu
2" lift, 1" BL, 33-12.50-15's, 4.56's, belly up skid plate, winch, minimalist bumpers & sliders, CB & possibly a ham, onboard air for tire fills at a minimum.

Things to carry that I've found important:
-Good first aid kit
-Axe
-Shovel
-Hammock
-Mummy Bag rated to -15
-2 days worth of MRE's
-soft tool rolls
-Rigging bag (snatch blocks, extra synthetic winch line, tree saver, 2 pair gloves)

F the RTT. I have a good tarp/canopy and a hammock. Even a small tent would be better. Way smaller, easy to get in an out of, even for the dog. Setup camp and you can still go wheelin without breaking camp. And I can park it in the garage.

Lift it 3 or 4 inches, get some 31s or 33s, some recovery gear, and go wheelin! Keep it simple for now. Figure out what you like to do. Then add to the Jeep to make that experience better

I would skip the RTT also, but for what your thinking I might consider a roof rack to carry gear, may add some small LED lights on the rack to set up camp, change out factory headlights for some LED's also. Definitely a winch with syn. rope to save on weight. I really love my Coleman Insta-tent after all day driving it can be set up in minutes.

winch/tires done on a rubicon.

spend all your money in recovery equipment, fire extinguisher, and spare parts like u joints, and other things that break and can leave you stranded. If you wanted to do an air compressor that wouldn't be a bad idea either. maybe jerry can setup with spare fuel, if you really are going off the beaten path.

I plan on doing a rtt and it sounds like a lot of people aren't into them on here but I will use the hell out of it not for looks and I don't care what people think about the big blocky square on top of my jeep.

I also have a 06 Rubi. With the same basic intent. No RTT.
Full width bumpers F & R
2 1/2" lift. 32" tires. Your 4.10 axles will be geared perfectly for this.
8,000 lb winch
Good A/T or "tween" tires
Oil pan armor, aluminum.
As light as you can keep it.
And that's about it. You will need the obvious things like radios and tire repair kits extra fuel and so on, but that is really about it. The Rubicon really is just about perfect when it came from the factory. Use a cargo holder that goes in the tow hitch. Try to not need to do it, but it is easier than a trailer if (when) you need to back up. But try your best to not need it. When I was in my mid 20's just out of the military, a couple changes of socks and underwear, poncho and a sleeping bag, tarp sometimes, collapsible fishing pole and some tin foil to cook in would get me thru a weekend or up to a week. Now that I'm older the pack list has grown a bit.

• Wow
Thanks for the replies and info. A lot to sort out. I will update the changes. I agree the Tj is a small for overlanding but I love it. My shocks need changed, the control arms are rusty and look rough (need changed) Along with the springs....front end sag. thinking about replacing all the stock components with stock or maybe stock parts and OME shocks and springs or the 2 inch rancho lift with 5000x shocks? Thanks for all the replies:)

Heres the best RTT I've seen. You can drive around set up and in 1 minute you can tie it down to go for groceries. PLUS I love how open it is.

DSC_0063.jpeg

"I agree the Tj is a small for overlanding"

No it isn't. Think like a backpacker. If you don't NEED it don't pack it. A TJ just forces you to pack lightly.
Guys overland on motorbikes.

I don't know if anyone has watched the utube "I am Jake" but he lived in a sail boat for a while before moving full time into his CJ (I think it's a YJ with a CJ front clip), anyway, he was doing pretty good until he decided he wanted a girlfriend along. Then he suddenly needs a trailer and 500 lbs more gear. Point is 1 can travel pretty light. But 2 in that small of a vehicle would be much harder. Even when the G.F. leaves and he gets his buddy to tag along for a while it becomes a luggage nightmare.

I've had 3 lifts on this TJR, now I am box stock and loving the ride and reliability.
This is my rig. I love the flexibility of a trailer and the comfort of a full double bed mattress

thinking about going back stock with my 04 LJ. just would not have had the courage to say it publicly if I hadn't seen this.:D

Not really, them carrying camping gear isn't over landing, at least by my definition. You would be hard pressed to travel several hundred miles on a bike with out some kind of additional support, be it fuel, food, or water
Overlanding is not about isolation, quite the opposite overlanding is challenging yourself with different cultures, food, languages while still being quite independent. But you experience overlanding by interaction with other people.

Heres a link I refer to. From the guys who have spent a lifetime doing it.

https://expeditionportal.com/what-is-overlanding/

Last edited: