How would you get this broken bolt out?

benny3577

I was pulling the passenger seat out of the Jeep today and one of the bolts decided not to cooperate, which means I broke it off. I’m sure that many of you have dealt with similar issues. So my question is, how would you go about getting this bolt out aside from welding a nut on and trying again. I could maybe find someone to help with this, but I’m hoping for a different solution. I already squirted a ton of Liquid Wrench around it. Pictures are attached. Thanks in advance.

4188dd081503d418108b163b87ef7217.jpg

083192b9b1bacb4bcbc70de75f38074d.jpg

For a similar bolt I hit it with pb blaster every day for a week and heat right before I used vice grips. If the vice spins without the bolt spinning you can use a wrench on the tightening bolt to make it tighter.

If there's not enough for vice grips you can always cut a notch into it for a flathead.

If that doesn't work you can still it down the middle getting increasingly bigger. At some point of the drilling you can use a chisel to crack it out.

Reactions: Daryl
Heat the bolt itself with a torch so it's smokin' hot then unscrew it with vise grips. Or have someone weld a nut onto the top of it (yes I read you said other than welding), the welding process will also get it hot enough so it should unscrew. Heat! PB-Blaster would be a waste of time. It came in a distant dead last in a test of penetrants. It only barely beat WD40 which is not a penetrant.

Having dealt with my own nightmare of a broken bolt on the rear seat mounting bracket into the tub. After trying to finesse it for several days, I listen to my best friend who after looking it from both inside and underneath, uttered the words to live by "cut the f***er off" which I did. A few dead hammer blows on a punch pushed through the remainder of the threads. After cutting it off from the bottom and punching through a few threads on top, I then drilled it out larger, bought a larger Grade 8 bolt, nut and washer.

As an old boss once said "when faced with eating a turd, better do it in one big gulp, than lick it all day long". Cut it off and get on with it.

I had a rusted stuck cross member bolt just this week. After messing with it the next morning, I promptly cut it off and bought a new bolt and new nutsert. Life goes one.

Reactions: Imapepper and chad
Having dealt with my own nightmare of a broken bolt on the rear seat mounting bracket into the tub. After trying to finesse it for several days, I listen to my best friend who after looking it from both inside and underneath, uttered the words to live by "cut the f***er off" which I did. A few dead hammer blows on a punch pushed through the remainder of the threads. After cutting it off from the bottom and punching through a few threads on top, I then drilled it out larger, bought a larger Grade 8 bolt, nut and washer.

As an old boss once said "when faced with eating a turd, better do it in one big gulp, than lick it all day long". Cut it off and get on with it.

I had a rusted stuck cross member bolt just this week. After messing with it the next morning, I promptly cut it off and bought a new bolt and new nutsert. Life goes one.
How did your boss know what a turd tastes like?

Reactions: skrelnik
Hmmm, I never asked him that, but the saying itself has served me well over the years, it is applicable in many life situations.
Maybe he drank that funny coffee that some cat shits out and they wash the beans and sell it for a fortune.

Heat the bolt itself with a torch so it's smokin' hot then unscrew it with vise grips. Or have someone weld a nut onto the top of it (yes I read you said other than welding), the welding process will also get it hot enough so it should unscrew. Heat! PB-Blaster would be a waste of time. It came in a distant dead last in a test of penetrants. It only barely beat WD40 which is not a penetrant.
And why do all the auto parts stores and hd/lowes only carry the one that doesn't work? I have to go to ace hardware several extra miles to get liquid wrench. I have oreilly, pep boys, lowes, hd, autozone within 2 miles of the house. They only carry pb. The close ace went under a year or two ago. Where can you buy kroil or aerokroil in a store? This stuff is like paint to me. I don't plan far enough ahead so the can runs dry when i really need it. Like wheels off, up on jack stands, trying to remove unit bearings or whatever, wife has the other car at some deal across town kind of need it.

I don't know any where in my area that sells Kroil in the stores. I bought some off of Amazon though.

Reactions: RussTJ
If its rusted I would try heating it then spraying cold water on then tapping it with a hammer. Just to shock it loose. Do that a couple times then grab it with some vice grips.

Last edited:
I would first try drilling it out. Start small and graduate up to the largest bit that will go through without hitting the threads. Then use an extractor. If that doesn't work, drill it all the way out and use the grade 8 nut and bolt

doubtful cutting a slot and using a flat head would work.

get yourself some left handed drill bits, best thing for removing broken bolts in my opinion. You can use regular right handed bits to drill first, once you get a good hole then switch to the left handed bit. Get the biggest size you can that will fit without hitting the threads.

Reactions: Sea Cot