HP Dana 30 issues

SuperTramp

I had my Jeep regeared about a year ago at a shop who I’ve since found did some questionable, at best, work.

Today I noticed the front diff leaking gear oil. It’s a high pinion 30, not the regular one.

I cracked open the cover and noticed some ground metal on the drivers side bearing. I took a couple pics, though I’m not entirely sure what I’m looking at. Hoping someone knows what the issue is.

IMG_1932.jpeg

IMG_1931.jpeg

IMG_1929.jpeg

IMG_1926.jpeg

IMG_1924.jpeg

It looks like they beat the ever living fuuuuuuuuuuu out of those shims behind that bearing. And the 4th picture down looks almost like there is water in that diff fluid, but it could just be the lighting.

Reactions: macleanflood
I would put the cap back on, install a new seal, clean it all up, install diff cover, add fluids and drive it. Shims aren’t perfect but they are in the correct location and doing their job. If you want to be extra careful you could check backlash and change fluids in 500 miles.

The thing is i'm not even sure how the shims got beaten like that. Those are behind the bearing, so they would have just slipped over the journal before they pressed on the bearing. There's no reason to beat on them like you would on a Dana35 where the shims are between the bearing race and the housing. The only thing i can guess is that a bearing splitter was used at some point and it caught the shims, and they didn't bother with new shims.