Hurricane approaching...

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
First of all for those who do not know, Hurricane Matthew is a day or 2 away from impacting the Florida Coast. I think it's supposed to hit my area on thursday potentially, and this is a category 4 hurricane.

The hospital I work at just went into disaster mode, which has never happened to me yet so this could be very serious in the upcoming days here.

I just wanted to say I had a pretty funny day of prepping for the storm with all these Jeeps, mainly TJ's out on the road fueling up and stocking up on a bunch of things...some things very random. But I have never seen so many TJ ever down here and on the road at one time before.

Do natural disasters bring out the Jeeps or what?

Something so strange about prepping for a very serious thing like a hurricane and having these funny morale boosting moments like a dozen Jeep waves on my way home from the grocery store. Or at the gas station, there were 3 TJ's and a JK. We congregated together like we had some plan no one else was in on.

...and i'm debating if I should put my hardtop and doors back on...Not sure what you guys think?

Last edited:
Good luck and stay safe. hopefully you don't get hit with the full brunt of the storm. I would definitely put the hardtop and doors back on.

Stay safe man! Hopefully it just ends up being one of those hurricanes that dies down once it reaches land.

I think the TJ is an excellent vehicle for this sort of thing. Even in stock form they'll take you just about anywhere you want (within reason), and they're very rugged. One of the reasons I love my TJ so much is because of how utilitarian it is.

If there was a hurricane coming, I would be putting my hard top and doors on FOR SURE. If you don't, you're going to risk serious water damage to the inside (i.e. electronics behind the dash).

Hang in there EJD, this too shall pass.

Go for the doors and hardtop. Cuts down on damage from flying objects, water damage and keeps your emergency stuff contained.

We'll be thinking of you. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

I'm on the west coast, but we are starting to prep as well.

My TJ is also our evacuation vehicle, so I have plenty of storage options for our B-O-Bs and other gear. It's absolutely the right vehicle for the job.

There should be no debate about putting on the hard top and doors. A few minutes now can mean a lot later.

Yeah, I just tossed the doors on for now and i'll get the top on in the morning...
I'm installing storm shutters on the house tomorrow too, it seems only right I should install my storm shutters on the TJ.

Reactions: Serbonze and Chris
Yeah, I just tossed the doors on for now and i'll get the top on in the morning...
I'm installing storm shutters on the house tomorrow too, it seems only right I should install my storm shutters on the TJ.
Pulling for ya!

Reactions: EJD
Were a few hours from Hurricane Matthew now. Its going to be a bumpy ride!
IMG_4969.jpg

IMG_4963.jpg

Got the storm shutters on the house, got the KK nosed into the mangroves, got the TJ backed up to the jungle.

Also installed the new Grill Guard in the midst of all this yesterday. (Unrelated to the storm). Also deleted the Milk Jugs and got the Mopar Stubby End Caps in the mail. Hopefully I have a Jeep after this...and a home too.

Reactions: Chris
You guys aren't evacuating like the rest of the people?

Hopefully the damage is minimal! Oh, and hopefully you have insurance that covers hurricanes!

You guys aren't evacuating like the rest of the people?

Hopefully the damage is minimal! Oh, and hopefully you have insurance that covers hurricanes!
We are not evac'ing, we're too deep into it. To evac would put us in a vulnerable position because of all the other people crashing into each other and congesting every road way attempting evac. I'm also on this disaster protocol at the hospital I work at.

I see a bunch of people staying home and waiting it all out. This is a category 4 hurricane which is pretty gnarly, so i'm a little nervous. This is a first for us.

And yes, our insurance covers disaster stuff like this!

We are not evac'ing, we're too deep into it. To evac would put us in a vulnerable position because of all the other people crashing into each other and congesting every road way attempting evac. I'm also on this disaster protocol at the hospital I work at.

I see a bunch of people staying home and waiting it all out. This is a category 4 hurricane which is pretty gnarly, so i'm a little nervous. This is a first for us.

And yes, our insurance covers disaster stuff like this!

Okay, well thank goodness for the insurance. How crappy would that be to find out afterwards that your insurance doesn't cover hurricanes!?

Do you guys have some sort of storm shelter under your house, or somewhere to lay low incase the hurricane rips your roof off?

I don't blame you for not evacuating, I don't think I would either. I saw all the a-holes on the news trying to get out. All it was doing was causing massive pile-ups, wrecks, and utter chaos. I think the best thing to do would be to stay put in some sort of a safe shelter.

Okay, well thank goodness for the insurance. How crappy would that be to find out afterwards that your insurance doesn't cover hurricanes!?

Do you guys have some sort of storm shelter under your house, or somewhere to lay low incase the hurricane rips your roof off?

I don't blame you for not evacuating, I don't think I would either. I saw all the a-holes on the news trying to get out. All it was doing was causing massive pile-ups, wrecks, and utter chaos. I think the best thing to do would be to stay put in some sort of a safe shelter.
No storm shelter or basement, but we have a spot in the house that we have kind of made into a safe room. We have double reinforcements on the window (both sides, 2 layers). In our house every room in our house has a window or skylight so we have chosen the most interior room, and basically made a little safety bunker.

For the most part there are no basements in Florida.

The roads right now, even here on the west coast are insane. The cars were three and four deep at the gas pumps. The news this morning said that all of the major chain hotel rooms were booked with evacuees from the east coast.

This is a monster storm that is supposed to strengthen overnight.

Chris - that news report is one of the reasons that I built up the Jeep, so I can get where I need to go bypassing the herd.

No storm shelter or basement, but we have a spot in the house that we have kind of made into a safe room. We have double reinforcements on the window (both sides, 2 layers). In our house every room in our house has a window or skylight so we have chosen the most interior room, and basically made a little safety bunker.

You probably already know this, but fill up your bathtub(s) with water to have an extra supply on hand. If it gets really bad, remember that your hot water heater should hold at least 30 gallons.

Oh man, I hope you and your friends/family/co-workers/neighbors come out of this 100% ok. Yeah it looks dangerous for sure, keep your heads down. :eek:

For the most part there are no basements in Florida.

The roads right now, even here on the west coast are insane. The cars were three and four deep at the gas pumps. The news this morning said that all of the major chain hotel rooms were booked with evacuees from the east coast.

This is a monster storm that is supposed to strengthen overnight.

Chris - that news report is one of the reasons that I built up the Jeep, so I can get where I need to go bypassing the herd.

Interesting. I would think more people in Florida would have basements as potential hurricane shelters.

Good call on building up the Jeep. That should get you where you need to be without having to stick to paved roads. I assume by now you have some jerry cans with fuel and water?

Interesting. I would think more people in Florida would have basements as potential hurricane shelters.

Good call on building up the Jeep. That should get you where you need to be without having to stick to paved roads. I assume by now you have some jerry cans with fuel and water?

The water table is too high so they would just be an underground swimming pool without VERY expensive waterproofing. Almost all homes are built on a slab.

I never did buy a fuel Jerry can, I do have that water one though. In the mean time I do have a super siphon. :emoji_angel:

The water table is too high so they would just be an underground swimming pool without VERY expensive waterproofing. Almost all homes are built on a slab.

I never did buy a fuel Jerry can, I do have that water one though. In the mean time I do have a super siphon. :emoji_angel:

Water and a siphon is all you need! Makes sense about the water table. I didn't even think about that!

Reactions: Serbonze
Yeah our house is on a sandbar, every time it rains, things shift below.
We are 5 miles from the Atlantic Coast just 50 or so miles north of where the impact with land is.

You probably already know this, but fill up your bathtub(s) with water to have an extra supply on hand. If it gets really bad, remember that your hot water heater should hold at least 30 gallons.
We have the tub filled up for sure!
We have the survival protocol locked in. Solar gear, medical, water purification, dehydrated food for weeks, jeeps...

Oh man, I hope you and your friends/family/co-workers/neighbors come out of this 100% ok. Yeah it looks dangerous for sure, keep your heads down. :eek:
Thanks, that all we can do. Hang on tight.

That should get you where you need to be without having to stick to paved roads. I assume by now you have some jerry cans with fuel and water?
I have Daystar Cam Cans, fuel, potable water, tools, etc. Have a few for sure!

Reactions: Chris and Serbonze