HVAC Issues

Kraken72

Bolt Breaker
Supporting Member
So having an HVAC issue with my 98 TJ. I live in Louisiana, it's warm. So I was getting heat out of defrost vents. All new vacuum lines, no vacuum leaks. I disconnected the vacuum line to the HVAC system, still getting heat in cab. So guess I have an obstruction or blend door issue? Any ideas?

Any antifreeze in the cab?

Not sure about the 98...but my 97 has a vaccum port on the passenger side next to the heater hoses...can you put a vaccum gauge on it and does it hold pressure?

-Mac

No leaks. Vacuum from engine is good. So I think I have and actuator or blend door malfunction. I have the HVAC system completely disconnected. But heat is still warming up the cab. Guess heater bypass, so I don't sweat until I figure it out.

Reactions: macleanflood
Well I took a 3/4" hole saw and made a hole in the bottom of the HVAC assembly near the blend door. Inserted my endoscope to see what I could find. So looks like mice got in the HVAC assembly and nested and chewed up things nicely. Blend door for heat and cold will never completely close. Luckily I have another complete HVAC assembly to install. Not looking forward to pulling the dash.

It continues. So upon further inspection after using a hot knife to cut a hole in the HVAC box. I found a bunch of plastic, nesting material and a dead petrified rat. I can fully close the blend door now. Still going to do a heater bypass until I can pull the dash and replace the HVAC assembly.

IMG_20220505_110659.jpg

IMG_20220505_105915.jpg