HVAC Issues!

Cber11

Literally just bought a really awesome jeep and have been enjoying it….but….here I am. Having issues with the hvac system. It’s my first jeep and I’ve never been a jeep guy so I’m seeking some advice.
First things first…the blower only blows on the highest setting.
Now the main issue…
It’s only blowing hot (and not that hot even) sometimes. It takes a while for the baffles to change the setting it seems.
Here’s an example of what it’s doing…if i set it to blow it out the defroster only. It’ll blow out the feet also…there’ll actually be hot air blowing out the defroster and cold air out by the feet.
On the same note I can set it to blow out towards the front and it’ll blow out cold. Or sometimes it’ll blow out cold out the front and be hot down by the feet.
I have no idea what it could be right not. I’m just starting to do my research. It’s very random and unpredictable what it’s going to do.

Literally just bought a really awesome jeep and have been enjoying it….but….here I am. Having issues with the hvac system. It’s my first jeep and I’ve never been a jeep guy so I’m seeking some advice.
First things first…the blower only blows on the highest setting.
Now the main issue…
It’s only blowing hot (and not that hot even) sometimes. It takes a while for the baffles to change the setting it seems.
Here’s an example of what it’s doing…if i set it to blow it out the defroster only. It’ll blow out the feet also…there’ll actually be hot air blowing out the defroster and cold air out by the feet.
On the same note I can set it to blow out towards the front and it’ll blow out cold. Or sometimes it’ll blow out cold out the front and be hot down by the feet.
I have no idea what it could be right not. I’m just starting to do my research. It’s very random and unpredictable what it’s going to do.

Welcome and get ready to learn everything you will need to know. Good suggestion above and for some lite reading go over to the resource section and download your Factory manual, good place to familiarize yourself with the systems.

Welcome. I knew nothing about jeeps when I bought my 97. I love it, but any vehicle this old will have it's quirks (and parts that seem to wear out, sometimes in bunches) 😂

I'm getting ready to do my heater core before winter, let the adventure continue!

Thank you all for your replies! Got the blower motor resistor replace and works well…
I put a new blend door actuator in it…plugged it in and tested it and it is still not turning all the way… could this be an issue with the temperature switch on the dash? A Vaccuum leak going to it? Not really sure at this point. What have all you seen from your experience?

Vacuum leak would be my vote. Might be the vaccum reservoir under the battery.

I'd get a vaccum pump like a Mighty Vac and disconnect the line on the firewall and see if you can move the doors.

If you can, then you have a vaccum leak...and if not it's in the HVAC box.

-Mac

Okay, I have something similar going on. Blows cold out of defrost all settings. floor closes and opens dash opens and closes but due to defrost open low flow out of dash. Went under and watched all the actuators move as settings change. Disconnected the defrost actuator and manually closed the doors and it worked. So the arm is not broken. Could the actuator be going bad and not strong enough to fully close? Another guess would be small vac leak I haven't found yet, that doesn't allow enough PSI for the actuator?

Okay, I have something similar going on. Blows cold out of defrost all settings. floor closes and opens dash opens and closes but due to defrost open low flow out of dash. Went under and watched all the actuators move as settings change. Disconnected the defrost actuator and manually closed the doors and it worked. So the arm is not broken. Could the actuator be going bad and not strong enough to fully close? Another guess would be small vac leak I haven't found yet, that doesn't allow enough PSI for the actuator?

Possibly a plugged up heater core and nothing to do with control. Locate the 2 heater hoses where they enter the cab near the battery and check each hose for temps with your hands. If they are both similarly hot then your good but if one is warm or hot and the other warm or cold then it's plugged.

this would affect the mode operation? i haven't checked the heater to see if hot air blows since SE LA is still 90 degrees most days.

You mentioned blowing cold in all positions, that's what I was responding to. For the vac get your hands on all the lines and fittings starting at the manifold looking for cracks and damaged rubber fittings on each. Also check to confirm the reserve canister is still connected.