HVAC troubleshooting

Jeep_NL

Hello everyone,

I have some HVAC issues in my 2000 2.5 TJ:

1. The fan blower switch only works on the 4th position. (most likely the resistor?) So i removed the resistor to have an look, and all i could see was a lot of junk stuck in the resistor. (Photo 1&2)

2. The 'defroster switch' (the right switch) doesn't work properly. The switch feels really soft and doesn't always click in position, sometimes you hear a sound while turning the switch.

3. The 'defroster switch' light doesn't work. (Does this have something in common with the 2nd problem?)

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards from The Netherlands,
Guus

IMG_20201207_162256.jpg

IMG_20201207_162306.jpg

You can verify the condition of the blower resistor by measuring resistance across the windings even though that resistor looks like its seen better days and should be replaced.
IF the blower switch is the original in the '00 then it probably should be replaced. You can try to spray plastic safe contact cleaner into the switch with the wiring disconnected and spin the speed control switch thru all of the speeds to clean the contacts, but in the end... you may need to replace the speed control switch.
As for the defroster light not illuminating; I would verify the fuse is not blown, test the harness to the switch for voltage and check the wiring for signs of over heating.