Hydro assist—best option for hose routing?

pc1p

I do all my own stunts
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Need some opinions here - for those running hydro-assist on a factory Dana 30 setup, are you having better luck running the lines forward or rearward? I had them rearward (i.e. the 90º points slightly rearward coming off the ram) and that seemed okay. When I finally got the PSC big bore in the LJ, them seemed to fit better coming forward (like the photos below). Going to the rear, they seemed very long and were coming uncomfortably close to the engine/crank pully.

IMG_5185.JPG

IMG_5186.JPG

I can't tell if it's the placement of the ports on the big bore are different than the factory Saginaw or if it just looks that way. I'm using the lines that PSC included in their "TJ kit" but they perhaps seem a bit too long (hence the really long Shepherds hook in the routing). I've tweaked the fittings making sure the "tension" is pointing the line in the proper direction, and have used plenty of zip ties, but I constantly deal with the hoses hanging down. I'm afraid they're going to catch on some and cause a massive leak.

Any advice???

Any advice???
1- never use pre-made lines.
2- never install lines without the axle at full droop.
3- never run lines that were installed at full droop without checking them at full stuff and under articulation.
4- lines installed at full droop need to be as tight as you can get them without stressing the fittings and trying to turn them.

Reactions: pc1p
When we build TJ lines, we use 4 90's. The two at the steering gear ports point back toward the firewall. The two on the cylinder point down the cylinder toward the left side tire.

You really should weld that cover plate on the front of the trackbar and stabilizer mount.

Reactions: pc1p
1- never use pre-made lines.
2- never install lines without the axle at full droop.
3- never run lines that were installed at full droop without checking them at full stuff and under articulation.
4- lines installed at full droop need to be as tight as you can get them without stressing the fittings and trying to turn them.
The hydro setup was added post DW diagnosis and repair just to confirm the PSC worked as it should (figured it would but was confirmation). Since I have only been street driving, I wasn't too worried about fitment other than general clearance. I'm at the point now where I'm crossing off #2-4 above.

Regarding #1 - do you make your own lines or do you just order the correct length you need? I was thinking of just getting some 3/8" rubber hose to mock up some hoses and confirm lengths before ordering new ones.

When we build TJ lines, we use 4 90's. The two at the steering gear ports point back toward the firewall. The two on the cylinder point down the cylinder toward the left side tire.
Good tip there! It is similar to how I had this setup on my TJ (sans the 90º at the steering gear).

You really should weld that cover plate on the front of the trackbar and stabilizer mount.
@Chris mentioned to me that you told him he needed to weld the plate to the axle but I think we thought it was because he had the mid-arm truss on there and couldn't get the u-bolt around the tube. I'll tackle that shortly if you say it's a good idea...

Reactions: Chris