HypoClintons 4 Inch Clayton Lift

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Helping my buddy Clinton lift his 04 that my 04 inspired ( he is sorta copying my copy of @Plumber1 -)

We have now accomplished the Alabama squat.

These dollies at Harbor Freight make most every jeep easier to work under plus you can move it around safely. Really well worth it and also seem to make pinion adjustments easier when e brake is set, etc.

Clinton is a great story - got off to a wild start and woke up, cleaned up his act and made a huge turnaround- he was a drifting wild kid.....now he is clean cut, clean living, ultra healthy, ambitious, employed by the government as an engineer, works on the side as an EMT /Ambulance driver, built an awesome house and has a beautiful wife and 3 children. He is around 36 now. Proof that God can change someone.

Has an engineers mind....

Clinton- “I don’t understand how this works ....”

Me- “ Clinton! Ya ain’t gotta understand to back a control
arm nut off” 🤣🤣

image.jpg

Last edited:
Helping my buddy Clinton lift his 04 that my 04 inspired ( he is sorta copying my copy of @Plumber1 -)

We have now accomplished the Alabama squat.

These dollies at Harbor Freight make most every jeep easier to work under plus you can move it around safely. Really well worth it and also seem to make pinion adjustments easier when e brake is set, etc.

Clinton is a great story - got off to a wild start and woke up, cleaned up his act and made a huge turnaround- he was a drifting wild kid.....now he is clean cut, clean living, ultra healthy, ambitious, employed by the government as an engineer, works on the side as an EMT /Ambulance driver, built an awesome house and has a beautiful wife and 3 children. He is around 36 now. Proof that God can change someone.

Has an engineers mind....

Clinton- “I don’t understand how this works ....”

Me- “ Clinton! Ya ain’t gotta understand to back a control
arm nut off” 🤣🤣

View attachment 524200

He must not be a mechanical engineer if he doesn't understand a lock nut...civil or Choo, Choo?

Besides the JJ for the front uppers what else does this “kit” not come with?

Pretty complete and website has a good image-

No shocks comes to mind but I’m not fully awake- was up to 2 a.m.

Reactions: Weasellee

In church now- was thinking it through-didn’t mean to short answer earlier - web pics will give you questions-

I’ll put together a comprehensive list asap for you. They are very complete as far as small details like spring retainers and also give you a 1/2” upper hardware option.

I’m close to making an “adjuster”’upper arm to tune single adjustable set ups faster - then remove and run the single. Basically use as a tool.

Blaine stays double adjustable on his builds and will tune maniacally.

Here is the kit-

Arms- pro kit is half jj, half Girro, overland is all Girro

Springs

Front retainers

Rear disc retainers - bolt under the bump stops

Bump stops….these bolt to all
4 lower perches- bolt up is a pain. The stops are stout

Clayton front and rear track bars

Brake lines

Jks links rear

Jks quicker disconnect up front

He chose 1/2” upper hardware

That is his kit (overland )

Mine is Clayton arms and Ome springs and shocks and the rest was stuff I rounded up-

In church now- was thinking it through-didn’t mean to short answer earlier - web pics will give you questions-

I’ll put together a comprehensive list asap for you. They are very complete as far as small details like spring retainers and also give you a 1/2” upper hardware option.

I’m close to making an “adjuster”’upper arm to tune single adjustable set ups faster - then remove and run the single. Basically use as a tool.

Blaine stays double adjustable on his builds and will tune maniacally.

No rush for a complete list. I was looking at their site before you brought up the subject. Dave wants a long-arm. I was noticing how much it does come with. Impressive.

No rush for a complete list. I was looking at their site before you brought up the subject. Dave wants a long-arm. I was noticing how much it does come with. Impressive.

They are very complete- and the quality and service is there.

The Girro is essentially a clevite with the edges scalloped for easier rotation- it may have a spherical ball in it, don’t know. May be the best non jj joint to mate with a jj and not stress a bracket.

They sell very nice track bar bolts, and carry things they do not make to round out their line and packages.

Single adjustable is the only pain -

Thanks again for getting me off my butt a while back- a lot of good has came from all that. Just being the voice meant a lot.

Andy

Now we are torquing it down-

Right now its in the best ready to dial in stage I’ve ever lifted one-

Caster at 4.2

Toe is 1/8 in

Pinion angle .8 low in front , 1.6 in rear with CV shaft

Rear buckets trimmed

Shocks on

We test drive shortly.

Reactions: Wildman
Work is getting in the way of my play, how was the test ride!?!?
No follow up?
Not like you AG

Same here bro- the public is chewing up my rear end today -

In addition to finishing the lift my C6 vette decided to play dead yesterday pm as i ran to the bank- fuel pump related is all I know, there is a known issue at the pdc-

Will report in asap.

Work is getting in the way of my play, how was the test ride!?!?
No follow up?
Not like you AG

Alrighty-

First, he ordered the Clayton Overland TJ short arm kit and Currie Currectlinc Steering.

The kit came totally complete except for shocks, we had to source nothing, not one bolt or washer, nothing. This meant we stayed working.

He chose the 1/2” uppers and had to drill out the uppers- a long bit may need considered if your muffler blocks the passenger rear upper.

A larger bit is required for the track bar frame mount - 14mm comes to mind but don’t quote me. We borrowed one and I was not there. Bolt spec’d .625 so 5/8” sounds right to my memory. The lower mount drills as well and the flag nut is included.

An Adams rear CV shaft was used. Stock front.

We did lowers, squared the axles and set wheel base all at once...then track bars and centered axles as close as we could (we got within 1/16”, we used the expected spring height to reference and a jack) and then uppers and set pinion and caster and used a digital gauge.

We did shocks last, and the bump work as we went.

Steering went on and we got it close and I said let that ride and we will dial in last-

We greased the front end, torqued it down, rechecked all measurements drove it - caster felt sufficient and all great except it floated, so we reset the toe, recentered the wheel, and we were done. Drove great.

Next it goes to the gear shop, gets the new brake lines and 35’s, and we will do the exogate and shift cable.

The only downside is the single adjustable uppers...that makes set up way harder, period.

I’ve had my similar Clayton lift in for over a year and have wheeled it fairly hard, still dead silent and tight.

I expect the same here.

More pics to come as we wrap up-

Last edited: