I am overwhelmed. Please help me build my TJ

Netori

I am a very new member but have read most of the popular threads such as the beginners guide. Browsing the forums has been a lot of help, but I figured I make my own post! My plans with the jeep: Travel and moderate-high overlanding.

I have a 01 Sahara TJ with no lift and 30" tires and been debating whether I should put a lift on my TJ or not. Lifting my TJ above 3" seems like a lot of money and work, esp with my 3.07 gear ratio. This leaves me to decide between putting together my own lift kit or buying something like the OME 2.5" kit. Still not sure yet, but I plan on putting together my own kit. Just wanted to see if I am completely missing something or doing anything wrong. Well here is what I was planning on putting on the jeep

3" front 2" back BDS coils
JKS front and rear trackbar
Currie Antirock Front
Rancho RS5000X shocks for 2-3 in” lift
Steering stabilizer (still don't know which one yet)
Adams Driveshaft Heavy Duty Front 1310 CV Greaseable Driveshaft
YJ extended break lines
SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) (unsure which one)

Will I need adjustable control arms? Recommendations on which SYE and driveshaft I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated. Again, don't hesitate to tell me I don't know what the hell I'm doing or If I'm missing anything. This is all hypothetical anyways. Haven't bought anything yet.

Last edited:
What do you want to do with the Jeep? Heavy off roading, on road only, a mix of both, etc.?

I never saw the need to lift a jeep right away. I would just enjoy it and make sure everything is sound, and definitely recommend looking at the frame and wire brush any rust and paint it. I am doing my first lift (2.5”) and I hav had mine for 5 years

I agree. Don’t stress on it. Drive it a while and see your limitations or where you can improve.
Go Jeeping with some Jeeples.
We will definitely help you spend your money and once you start there is no going back without attending meetings.
Go shake down your rig

Definitely a mix of both!

Slap a 2” lift on it with a transfer case drop and you’ll be able to fit 31s fine. Then go explore and see how you like it. If you continually get hung up on stuff then you may want to explore the idea of building it even more.

For most of us though, a 2” lift and 31s are all we would ever need.

Reactions: Mr. Pink
What @RMETeeJay said. Find some local jeepers and hit some local stuff, Big Bear, Cougar Buttes, Hungry Valley. Also, sort out your storage needs for overlanding. A TJ is a challenging format for storage during longer trips.

Slap a 2” lift on it with a transfer case drop and you’ll be able to fit 31s fine. Then go explore and see how you like it. If you continually get hung up on stuff then you may want to explore the idea of building it even more.

I just might do that. Thank you x2!

What @RMETeeJay said. Find some local jeepers and hit some local stuff, Big Bear, Cougar Buttes, Hungry Valley. Also, sort out your storage needs for overlanding. A TJ is a challenging format for storage during longer trips.

I want to travel all around with this thing! Storage is definitely something something I need to take into account.

My first lift was a simple 2” spacer/shock lift and 32”-11.50X15 BFG All-Terrain’s. I used it as my daily driver for almost 10 years like that, and put over 100,000 on those tires. The jeep saw some serious trail use. Take your time deciding, even a stock Jeep will handle some pretty tough trails with decent tires.

I've built a number of TJs and LJs over the years and it's incredibly easy to get overwhelmed with all the options. Of all the builds I've done, ranging from 31" to 35" tires, my absolute favorite to daily drive was a simple one that had H&R springs (1" suspension lift) , a 1" body lift, OME shocks and 31" tires.

Restricting your tire size to 31" does a number of good things, including:

- keeps build cost down - Making larger lift changes impacts other parts of the Jeep, which then need to be addressed. For example, going to 33" tires means, brakes, steering, gearing, etc. need to be done as well.
- maintains the clean simple style of the TJ/LJ - Unmolested TJs and LJs are getting harder to find, so if you have one, like your desirable Sahara, keeping it that way helps with re-sale value.
- provides better daily drivability - running a 31 x 10.50 tire, as opposed to a 33 x 12.50 tire, means less rolling resistance. This translates to better fuel mileage (I know it's a Jeep!), as well as better braking and steering for daily use.
- gives you time to learn more about your vehicle - This can help you save money, because you'll be less likely to make a modification, then later regret what you did.
- lastly, 31" tires helps maintain the "zippy" feel you normally get with driving a stock TJ - The stock 4.0l TJ is incredibly fun to drive. Once you make the jump to 33" tires, the whole nature of the vehicle changes. I'm not saying this is bad, but it's definitely different.

As for offroading, a TJ on 31" tires can do some pretty serious trails, with a good spotter and experienced driver. Bottom line, whatever you decide to do, take your time and learn from others here that have a lot of good advice!

I've built a number of TJs and LJs over the years and it's incredibly easy to get overwhelmed with all the options. Of all the builds I've done, ranging from 31" to 35" tires, my absolute favorite to daily drive was a simple one that had H&R springs (1" suspension lift) , a 1" body lift, OME shocks and 31" tires.

Restricting your tire size to 31" does a number of good things, including:

- keeps build cost down - Making larger lift changes impacts other parts of the Jeep, which then need to be addressed. For example, going to 33" tires means, brakes, steering, gearing, etc. need to be done as well.
- maintains the clean simple style of the TJ/LJ - Unmolested TJs and LJs are getting harder to find, so if you have one, like your desirable Sahara, keeping it that way helps with re-sale value.
- provides better daily drivability - running a 31 x 10.50 tire, as opposed to a 33 x 12.50 tire, means less rolling resistance. This translates to better fuel mileage (I know it's a Jeep!), as well as better braking and steering for daily use.
- gives you time to learn more about your vehicle - This can help you save money, because you'll be less likely to make a modification, then later regret what you did.
- lastly, 31" tires helps maintain the "zippy" feel you normally get with driving a stock TJ - The stock 4.0l TJ is incredibly fun to drive. Once you make the jump to 33" tires, the whole nature of the vehicle changes. I'm not saying this is bad, but it's definitely different.

As for offroading, a TJ on 31" tires can do some pretty serious trails, with a good spotter and experienced driver. Bottom line, whatever you decide to do, take your time and learn from others here that have a lot of good advice!

Your favorite setup is very close to what I have now. 1" H&R springs, Bilstein shocks, and 31x10.5 BFG A/Ts. I have the AX-15 and 3.73 gears. When I first got it I thought about lifting it more, but most of the driving I do is on pavement and dirt roads, so this setup is perfect.

Reactions: Irun

This is very sound advice. its the plan I am doing minus the t-case drop. Like others have said go and hit some trails, find your driving style and upgrade from there.

my first upgrades are always to get it 100% first which means doing all maintenance preventative and non. I will be doing:

Ball Joints
Steering (V8 Zj)
Wheel Bearings
Brakes
Tune Up
Cooling system (radiator, water pump, thermostat)
U-joints
Lighting Upgrades

All of this will be done before i even slap a lift on it. i want to be sure that while i am on the trail that i wont have a catastrophic failure of anything mechanical.

Last edited:
I have 2" spacer lift w/shocks and .75" wheel spacers, which I waited a year to do. My 31/10.50s looked anemic, and I couldn't find 33/11.50s so I went with 32/11.50/15 falkens and very happy with look and performance. No other mods/adjustments necessary. I'm either on deep beach sand or on the road getting to the beach, so no rock crawling for me, however I do want to do some minor trails at some point (Uwharrie). Also got a front lunchbox locker for the sand which is a game changer. Hope this helps!