I did the unthinkable too.

TJ4Jim

TJ Expert
Lifetime Supporting Member
Had to take my Jeep into the shop for what I suspected to be a bad pinion bearing. Since I am not tooled for that it's the first time in over 30 years that I have taken one of my vehicles to a mechanic. They just called to let me know the bearing was toast.

Reactions: StG58 and BendLarry
Had to take my Jeep into the shop for what I suspected to be a bad pinion bearing. Since I am not tooled for that it's the first time in over 30 years that I have taken one of my vehicles to a mechanic. They just called to let me know the bearing was toast.

Whew[emoji15]I was afraid of where this was headed [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhh, it happens to us all eventually. I did it when I had my TJ re-geared... That's one thing I don't want to attempt myself.

Reactions: StG58
Mine's going into the shop in a couple of weeks to get the front pinion bearing changed. I need to do the rear axle bearings too, but I'm buying a press so I can do those myself. :)

Reactions: JMT
Just got her back and in addition to the pinion bearing they found a bad carrier bearing that was also toast , so they replaced that and he wanted to replace the axles due to some minor pitting where the bearings ride so she has new Yukon axles now.