I don't know what I hate more, California or Genesis

Jerry Bransford

Too many arguments and personal attacks, I'm done.
Supporting Member
My daily driver 2013 Genesis has a Check Engine light preventing it from passing its smog test required to renew its registration for 2022.

Diagnostics said its main catalytic converter was bad and my local shop agreed. It's a big job enough job that I wouldn't do it. Just over $1800, most of that the cost of the cat which is only available from the Genesis dealer. 😡

So they replaced it and I've been fighting driving it the correct way to get its 'monitor program' to initialize to clear the CEL. 2 days of multiple 20 mile trips at 50-60 mph and no faster than 60 mph. Nope, didn't do it. Then I found the unbelievably complex "official" Genesis-specific drive routine required to reset it. Something like 18 steps! Idle 5 minutes, accelerate to 55 mph in under 15 seconds and stay there for 8 minutes. Pull over and stop/idle for 5 minutes with transmission in Drive. Accelerate to 50 mph and stay at 50 for 5 minutes, slow to 40 for one minute, accelerate to 55 mph for 5 seconds then slow to 40 for 1 minute. Repeat last 4 steps 5 times, Last cycle is one more of the same except come to a stop afterwards and let it idle 5 minutes.

Did the above twice today and the CEL is STILL not cleared. The test can't be done on a freeway and there can't be any traffic or stop signs or stop lights so I had to go out into the boondocks, almost to the desert to a remote highway. Even there I ran into enough traffic to prevent driving the above routine exactly as described.

2 smog shops and my shop all agreed it can take multiple attempts and more than several days clear the CEL.

I'm pissed. First at California for having the extra tough smog equipment requirements. Then at Genesis for having a tougher drive routine to clear codes than those from other brands of cars. Nope this kind of code can't be cleared by disconnecting the battery or with an external code reader.

Two full wasted days of driving it trying to clear the CEL after lots of shorter trips before that.

FUCK you California, shame on you Genesis.

Sorry for the rant!

P.S. I finally got home this afternoon only to find my garage door opener crapped out so I couldn't open the garage door. 😱😭🤣

I've run into this with GM vehicles. You may need to perform a break in procedure,

In order to achieve proper catalytic converter temperature and allow the mat material to out-gas (break-in), perform the following drive cycle and suggestions:

1. Drive vehicle at sustained highway speed for 25 to 30 minutes
  2. Bring vehicle to a stop
  3. Shut off the engine for 1 minute
  4. Restart the engine and resume highway speed for an additional 10 to 15 minutes
  5. Bring vehicle to a stop
  6. Shut off engine for 1 minute
  7. Restart the engine and operate vehicle.

Try it again on Tuesday - we'll be completely out of the shadow of the January Mercury Retrograde...

So, these newer vehicles cannot just have the code cleared with an OBDII scanner? Or is that somehow illegal to do in California?
Everything is illegal in California - at least, if you're a tax paying citizen.

Try it again on Tuesday - we'll be completely out of the shadow of the January Mercury Retrograde...

Everything is illegal in California - at least, if you're a tax paying citizen.
I just cleared two codes from my 2000 Blazer yesterday, as well as from the '07 Charger R/T I sold to a kid at work. I've done it in the past to get cars to pass emissions tests, and then dealt with the issues causing the CEL after the fact. So, that doesn't fly in California, huh?

So, these newer vehicles cannot just have the code cleared with an OBDII scanner? Or is that somehow illegal to do in California?
You can clear the P0420/430 codes for the cat, but the vehicle must do a complete drive cycle where all the I/M parameter must be met. This can take several drive cycles depending on what is required.
When you clear a code, you wipe all the I/M parameters and start from the beginning.

Reactions: Squatch
My daily driver 2013 Genesis has a Check Engine light preventing it from passing its smog test required to renew its registration for 2022.

Diagnostics said its main catalytic converter was bad and my local shop agreed. It's a big job enough job that I wouldn't do it. Just over $1800, most of that the cost of the cat which is only available from the Genesis dealer. 😡

So they replaced it and I've been fighting driving it the correct way to get its 'monitor program' to initialize to clear the CEL. 2 days of multiple 20 mile trips at 50-60 mph and no faster than 60 mph. Nope, didn't do it. Then I found the unbelievably complex "official" Genesis-specific drive routine required to reset it. Something like 18 steps! Idle 5 minutes, accelerate to 55 mph in under 15 seconds and stay there for 8 minutes. Pull over and stop/idle for 5 minutes with transmission in Drive. Accelerate to 50 mph and stay at 50 for 5 minutes, slow to 40 for one minute, accelerate to 55 mph for 5 seconds then slow to 40 for 1 minute. Repeat last 4 steps 5 times, Last cycle is one more of the same except come to a stop afterwards and let it idle 5 minutes.

Did the above twice today and the CEL is STILL not cleared. The test can't be done on a freeway and there can't be any traffic or stop signs or stop lights so I had to go out into the boondocks, almost to the desert to a remote highway. Even there I ran into enough traffic to prevent driving the above routine exactly as described.

2 smog shops and my shop all agreed it can take multiple attempts and more than several days clear the CEL.

I'm pissed. First at California for having the extra tough smog equipment requirements. Then at Genesis for having a tougher drive routine to clear codes than those from other brands of cars. Nope this kind of code can't be cleared by disconnecting the battery or with an external code reader.

Two full wasted days of driving it trying to clear the CEL after lots of shorter trips before that.

FUCK you California, shame on you Genesis.

Sorry for the rant!

P.S. I finally got home this afternoon only to find my garage door opener crapped out so I couldn't open the garage door. 😱😭🤣
For a guy whose sig line is buy American, are you surprised that a Korean car is giving you issues?

You can clear the P0420/430 codes for the cat, but the vehicle must do a complete drive cycle where all the I/M parameter must be met. This can take several drive cycles depending on what is required.
When you clear a code, you wipe all the I/M parameters and start from the beginning.
Okay. That makes sense. Went through that with my daughter's Mazda. In her case, the issue hadn't been taken care of yet, so there was a small window between where I completed the drive cycle, and it threw the code again. I was able to get it through smog, and about an hour later, the CEL was back.

That procedure to clear a Genesis code is absolutely ridiculous! I think I'd be more irritated at Genesis than CA. And I despise CA bureaucracy (absolutely beautiful State, but the bureaucrats are destroying it).

I just cleared two codes from my 2000 Blazer yesterday, as well as from the '07 Charger R/T I sold to a kid at work. I've done it in the past to get cars to pass emissions tests, and then dealt with the issues causing the CEL after the fact. So, that doesn't fly in California, huh?
Like everything else, only if you get caught.

The later TJs have the same problem, with the same "emission monitors incomplete" flag, and a similar drive routine to clear it (nasty, but not quite so complex as the Genesis). I got 6 of them cleared, but the last one is being a pig. And Colorado has the same type of emissions requirements as Kalifornia to pass before renewing a registration. I've been trying to clear mine for a few weeks. Fortunately, it's not due until summer.

The test can't be done on a freeway and there can't be any traffic or stop signs or stop lights so I had to go out into the boondocks, almost to the desert to a remote highway. Even there I ran into enough traffic to prevent driving the above routine exactly as described.
I did the Chrysler drive cycle for the LJ on jackstands in my driveway.

Reactions: pc1p