I finally got an Eagle!

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!!

I was driving to near Newcastle up on WY-450 when I saw a dead rabbit on the road. I thought to myself, "Poor bunny - great for a raptor if we had one...".
On the way back to Douglas, I passed that spot and by sheer luck, there was a Bald Eagle! I drove past it initially as I figured it was flying away, but it circled around and came back to the rabbit.

I figured, take the chances presented to you, right? So, I pulled off the road and circled back. I approached the eagle slowly, but it flew off when I got about 25yds from it.

I figured I missed my chance, but it circled back around again and this time, I actually got some pics of it!

I see definite issues with the images - shutter speed wasn't fast enough, the focus isn't quite right, my panning to stay with it isn't as good as I want, but these are the best pics I've gotten yet of an eagle in Wyoming, so I thought I'd share with you folks.
🙂

Sony A7R IVa, 200-600 f/5.6-6.3, FroPack 4 Blues Clues preset in Lightroom.

53391096352_35ff89fdce_o.jpg

53391096517_611719dab5_o.jpg

53392205203_0f2da418f2_o.jpg

they are beautiful for sure ! I have a picture of one in the nest with a baby and the picture is so clear you can see the pupil of their eye's, I was turkey hunting when I found the nest and a professional photographer was there taking pictures. I told him where it was and he later gave me a copy of it. I also gave it's location to the DNR and was told they had lost a nesting pair and this was them ! their nest is the size of a jeep hood .

Not a eagle but another raptor. A owl we picked up from another game warden my buddy and I transported to Auburn University raptor center. It was a baby that had fallen out of its nest, never touched anything so soft in my life, it was as soft as cotton balls. Man after all of them young girls came running out at Auburn to get him I wish we could find one every week. :love::love::love:

0417131326.jpg

0417131404.jpg

Last edited:
Not a eagle but another raptor. A owl we picked up from another game warden my buddy and I transported to Auburn University raptor center. It was a baby that had fallen out of its nest, never touched anything so soft in my life, it was as soft as cotton balls. Man after all of them young girls came running out at Auburn to get him I wish we could find one every week. :love::love::love:

View attachment 481889

View attachment 481890

Looks like a Barred Owl. We have several that live around our neighborhood. I get out there and talk with them with a call every now and then. One night I guess one wanted a closer look and it soared over me at about 20 feet looking down at me never making a sound. It was awesome.

I got some good shots of one out in the swamp a few years ago.

IMG_2065.jpeg

IMG_2066.jpeg

IMG_2067.jpeg

Looks like a Barred Owl. We have several that live around our neighborhood. I get out there and talk with them with a call every now and then. One night I guess one wanted a closer look and it soared over me at about 20 feet looking down at me never making a sound. It was awesome.

I got some good shots of one out in the swamp a few years ago.

View attachment 481939

View attachment 481940

View attachment 481941

awesome pic's and yes it was a Barred Owl .

Reactions: MountaineerTom