I HATE V-8s #@&*!!!

bucky

Old Fart
Supporting Member
I HATE V-8s!! I replaced the spark plugs in my 05 TJR a while back and it took me all of a 1/2 hour. Didn’t even Finnish my beer. I just finished putting plugs in my 04 Suburban 6.0 and it took me over 3 hours. The back passenger one took over an hour alone. I cut the hell out of the one hand I was able to snake down in there. The boots on the rest were a real bitch. Now I need to go down to the store to get a case of beer and sooth my wounds and my aching back. Yes that’s my blood in the picture.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent

D46774CD-6034-4D72-970D-A6903DC4EED8.jpeg

Try one of those brand new Audi V8 bi-turbos.

You have to remove the engine to do almost anything to them, no kidding.

I love V8s, unless I'm changing the plugs. I had a '02 Corvette. Was not too bad for most stuff, but the engine was crammed as far back as possible, so the last plug on each side was a real bitch to get to.

Spent just about 6 hours changing plugs on my son's 07 F150 after purchasing the special plug removal tool, apparently the OEM plugs don't like to come out in one piece.

I struggled with a pontiac v6 we owned until I read were you unbolt the upper engine mout and tilt the engine forward to change the back plugs.

Reactions: Wildman
GMC had the right idea when it came to their Big Block V6: Put the damn plugs INBOARD of the heads, instead of outboard. Above the intake instead of the exhaust.

Last edited:
Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
I struggled with a pontiac v6 we owned until I read were you unbolt the upper engine mout and tilt the engine forward to change the back plugs.
That reminds me of a Fiero GT that I owned. Removing the decklid from the car was another way to to try and get to them.

Reactions: ejay
Oh man, I drive a SuperDuty with the 6.2, I have 16 plugs!!!!! I need to change mine soon, I’m not looking forward to it!!!

I feel your pain. My Dad and I did the plugs on my cousins Suburban, same year and engine, because the guy doesn't deserve his man card. Same plug. I got kinda smart and stuck a piece of vacuum hose on the plug to thread fucker into place. Surprised that it went in on the first try after screwing around for an hour.

Dad told him that the next time he shows up running on five cylinders, he's leaving on five cylinders, too.

Reactions: bucky and Fixer6
Oh man, I drive a SuperDuty with the 6.2, I have 16 plugs!!!!! I need to change mine soon, I’m not looking forward to it!!!
Shit, I just looked at my 2019 6.2. I did not realize it had 16 plugs. Drivers side looks ok but passenger side is another story. I only have 22K on it so it will be a while till I have to cross that bridge. I will not touch my 6.7. I let the professionals do work on it.

I love V-8's,
it is not the engine that's the problem it is the chassis that it is mounted in !!
The Gen 1 Small Block Chevy in my 71 C-10 hot rod is as easy to wrench on as my TJ.
Chris is right about Audi , Our hessen friends bring world class German Enginering Suck to everything they touch!o_O

Shit, I just looked at my 2019 6.2. I did not realize it had 16 plugs. Drivers side looks ok but passenger side is another story. I only have 22K on it so it will be a while till I have to cross that bridge. I will not touch my 6.7. I let the professionals do work on it.
Yup, when I bought the truck I was not aware it had double the plugs. Wasn’t until I looked into changing them did I find out. The upper plugs all look easy, it’s the lowers that are gonna be the pain. Seems like the best way to get to those is remove the tire and the wheel well liner and come in that way. I’m just at 100,000 miles on my 2011, so I need to do it soon, ugh!

I got kinda smart and stuck a piece of vacuum hose on the plug to thread fucker into place.
This is actually ideal for all the plugs. It ensures you dont cross thread them.

If your using vacuum hose attached the top of the plug and threading it into the head, if it starts to cross-thread the hose will kink and you’ll know to reverse it and start again.